Backing and Binding in one..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing and Binding in one..

i'm crankin' out quilts , using my "wall o' fabrics".... want to use it up before i die!! LOL
    while finishing up the last one, it dawned on me that i once saw a "fold over binding" done on a quilt show somewhere.... i'll be searching for it somewhere on the net, but would LOVE to see Jenny's take on this one..
    As with all her "tuts" there is nothing better for getting it straight in one's head like a JT (jenny tut)... my quilt group had the scalloped edge thingy checked off their list, it being too difficult... i brought them to the computer to watch Jenny's Tut... and yep, you guessed it.. they all looked at each other and said... hey, she made that look easy.... !!!! No names mentioned, but they had seen "another" tut video and were so confused they just threw that tool in the drawer... Jenny to the rescure again.. so.. how about it... a "wrap around binding tut"??? thanks bj
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Re: Backing and Binding in one..

BJ, I've done this a number of times, it is quick and easy providing you have used a suitable matching backing fabric. Here is a link to a tutorial I found, I hope it helps. Most importantly she shows you clearly how to do the corners.
    http://quiltingintherain.blogspot.co...t-binding.html
    Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

That's a nice tutorial, thanks Lynn. Hugs, Jan
      Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

I just had to reply to this thread.....I feel backwards now. Hahaha

My first 3 quilts were done this way because I was scared of doing a proper binding. I literally just did it, with no tutorials or anything - thinking that it was the easier way to do my quilts (I've since switched to using a binding on all my subsequent quilts as it is fun for me to pull color from the top out on the edge).

All I did, was when I sandwiched my layers, I ensured I left batting and backing sticking out all the way around. When done quilting, I did exactly as in the tut listed, and cut away everything until the batting was 'about' 1" from the edge of my top and I wrapped and stitched the backing to the front. My corners were totally flubbed. I folded however it looked nicest - so the tut has a nicer corner then mine - but either way, it worked! None of my quilts are perfect, and no one has ever looked at my corners when they sleep under them (yet)!

It is honestly much easier to do in my opinion, BUT - I like the challenge of doing a binding now. After more then 8 quilts under my belt with binding, I'm still working on getting it 'perfect'....haha.

Good luck!

Comment

Wow what a time saver,thanks for sharing this with us here,I shall definatly try this next project.
          Quilting is good therapy.

Comment

Working...
          X