Building fabric stash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building fabric stash

What is a way to build my fabric stash? Not yards because I don't have room to store a ton of fabrics. I'm talking smaller pieces. I'm a beginner and don't really have a stash.

Re: Building fabric stash

Originally posted by sewsoft View Post
    What is a way to build my fabric stash? Not yards because I don't have room to store a ton of fabrics. I'm talking smaller pieces. I'm a beginner and don't really have a stash.
    Sewsoft to answer your question honestly: "Come shopping with me."

Probably 80% of my 'stash' has been acquired from three or four sources - remnants from fabric stores, grab bags at thrift stores, garage sales and/or estate sales, and on-line auction sites. I also hoard anything that someone else is discarding - like the 20+ yards of vegetable print cotton fabric my daughter has decided she no longer needs or wants - or the box of denim jeans legs cut-offs that my SIL brought me - or the boxes and boxes of drapery samples that I scrounged around for and only had to pay for shipping costs . . . and then occasionally, when I least expect it, I'll be in a fabric store looking for notions or accessories and will spot a truly tremendous piece of fabric that I just can't live without . . . and I will buy yardage simply because I love the look, the feel, the colors, the design - with no specific project in mind . . . I have some pieces that I know are OVER 20 years old and I still cherish them and hesitate to point wicked scissors at them.

True Confessions of a Fabric Nutcase
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
      Sewsoft to answer your question honestly: "Come shopping with me."

True Confessions of a Fabric Nutcase
      ROFLMBBO;

Sewsoft, I find smaller pieces and save them pretty much like our Sandy. You can actually pck and choose what you want from my stash, please. I am always on the prowl for something different and new. I buy remnant pieces by the inch at the LQS for certain small projects.
      Sewing mends the soul.
      sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
      Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
      ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

I am also a beginner quilter, but not a beginner sewer. I have saved remnants over the years. However I have found that as I purchase yardage for a project, I always have some left over. I am building my stash this way. It doesn't cost me extra, and over the Christmas projects, I have a lot of Christmas fabric now.
        I am making a quilt for my daughter completely from remnants I have collected from sewing projects over the years.
        I think a stash is like wisdom, you get it as you grow (or sew). As you work on your projects you'll build your stash.
        Happy quilting

Comment

I too am a prior sewer. Made all my girls' dresses when they were young. Years ago, I took the remnants and made a huge king size quilt...my first attempt at quilting. In going through my stash I am finding even more of the same materials. Surprisingly, it hasn't dry rotted or discolored. Think I will make another quilt from those pieces...if I can put aside all the newer wonderful selections bought recently from MQC. I have got to curb my addition to this store!!!!
          GlendaSue
          I hope to outlive my stash.

Comment

Sewsoft, I started building my stash by shopping the remnant bins at JoAnn's and WalMart. But, for the most part their quality is below the quilt shop fabric quality and I prefer the quilt shop fabrics now, like what MSQC sells. So my recommendation is to be a bit picky about what you buy. There are some at JoAnn's that is better quality, the quilter's cottons--not usually on the wall or in their fat quarter cuts--and feel the difference. I LOVE the cool smoothness of good fabric, it's so addicting. My preference is MSQC and their daily deals, then looking thru their store for yardage that I think I may need/want to go with a daily deal. Just go slow and steady and you'll have a stash to be proud of before you know it!
            Lola
            :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

I've always sewn I just bought the amount of fabric that I need to complete the project and no extra.
              I'm learning now that I would have a stash had I bought extra.

Comment

Yup, I always at least round up when I buy fabric - giving myself uh-oh room plus extra to hoard :-). I don't want an out of control stash, and on my budget it's not likely to happen <G>.
                There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

That's what i've been doing for years. If it calls for 1 5/8 ,I buy 2. I also shop the remnant bins at Joanns. I pick up flannel and cottons, 1/2 yd or more. Over the summer i made 4 baby quilts just from leftovers and remnants. I also like the"grab bags" some fabric stores have. generally I don't buy just for the sake of buying, though.
                  “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Your question reminded me of the lady in front of me at JoAnn's last week. She was telling her daughter, "When you buy fabric always look for the smallest bolt, one that you think has just the amount you want or need. When you take it to be cut, they will offer you the end of the bolt for at least 50% off." She said that was the way she built up her stash......

Hugs
                    Mia
                    ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                    Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
                    (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

Sewsoft----I didn't know you had to work to build up a stash----I thought it just grew! Mine is over-flowing, but I still love every scrap! It will happen. Keep sewing and when you find fabric you love, just get a little. Sometimes the heart just guides you by what makes you happy.
                      Iamdonnamac---"I think a stash is like wisdom, you get it as you grow (or sew). As you work on your projects you'll build your stash." Love the way you put that! Perfect!
                      Lola2Ace--I agree with your comment on quality. If you are only going for quilting stash---keep to the quilt shop fabrics and all cotton! Nice to feel, nice to work with.
                      Bakermom---yes, it is lovely to have scraps and stash to make with and not have to always purchase needed fabric. In years past, I have made myself sew kids' clothes, pj's, gifts, etc. with only stash items. You will be amazed what you can do, if you have a working stash. I have saved lots of money through the years, making do and not buying new all the time. It gives me a rush!
                      Mia---great idea and I know they do offer you the discount in a lot of stores if you will buy the rest of the bolt, or you can offer if they don't. Make sure you are buying what you love, not just buying for the bargains.
                      Stash multiplys like dust bunnies around this farm. I have more than my share!!! I might die with the most!, but I will enjoy it till that day comes! SuzyQue

Comment

I thought of fat quarters also. Most of the fabrics were blends not 100% cotton so if I had a stash of it I couldn't have used it for quilting anyway. It would be nice to buy fabric scrap bags. That would be quite a heart rush

Comment

Mia, I swear that could have been me that you heard at the store! Except that I don't think I have ever said it out loud! In our area, if it is less than a yard they will often offer it to you at the discount. I have some ladies at the cut counter that are better at remembering than others.
                          I am also "thrifty" with my fabric. Without messing up the grain lines, I squeeze the pattern pieces in as tight as they will go. I trim off the parts that are too small to use (long, skinny, pointy bits) and fold the rest up for another project. I too round up my fabric at times, especially on a new pattern. I'd rather have a bit left than not enough. that has happened after squaring up the fabric a few times. Grrr.
                          I have enough of a stash that I should never look at another daily deal again! I guess I could be addicted to worse things. I don't recall anybody dieing from a calico overdose... yet.
                          Sewsoft, If you don't have a stash yet, don't worry. It will show up one day and you will wonder how it got that huge, and what you are going to do with it now!
                          Be who you are and say what you feel
                          because those who mind don't matter,
                          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Sewsoft, Purchase MSQC's daily deals & fabrics on sale .... the pre-cuts take up little space. Another way you can build up your stash is to buy fat quarters that are out of season for better pricing. I prefer to buy from quilt shops for the fabrics are a better grade & I choose not to put all my time & effort into sewing to find it shrink, bleed or wear thin quickly. When I've bought fabrics that were mediocre, I end up not using them & donate them to make room for my latest desires. If I could begin my stash all over, I would ONLY purchase fabrics I LOVED and would try to only buy for the current project at hand. Hope this advice is of help.

Comment

I use to spend a lot of time in quilt shops and fabric stores. Everytime I'd see a pretty fabric I would buy a half yard or a yard. But after my DH started complaining that my stash was gonna fall on him and crush him, I've cut way back.

Now I usually buy Fat Quarters unless I'm buying for a particular project. Fat quarters are also great for applique and small piece work.

Comment

Working...
                              X