X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sewsoft
    replied
    Re: Ripping fabric

Just remember that stores will not take back washed or cut on fabric. I've seen a lady try to return fabric that had been washed and the store would not take it back.

Leave a comment:

• izzymomma
    replied

Thanks everybody.
    I am going to wash it and see if that helps. I will definatly make sure they cut and not rip from now on. I had seen a few tutes in you tube where they ripped instead of cutting their fabric. So I figured the lady knew what she was doing....learned my lesson

Leave a comment:

• Sandy Navas
    replied

Originally posted by jrchapman View Post
    The shops around here that sell dress making fabric still rip it off the bolt but all the quilting shops cut it with a rotary cutter. I assume it's because the dress making fabrics a lighter and rip easier. I do love the sound it makes RRRRRRRRIIIIIIIP!
    I only like that sound when I'm ripping something up to be reused in another project - or when tearing up an old sheet for rags . . .

Leave a comment:

• jrchapman
    replied

The shops around here that sell dress making fabric still rip it off the bolt but all the quilting shops cut it with a rotary cutter. I assume it's because the dress making fabrics a lighter and rip easier. I do love the sound it makes RRRRRRRRIIIIIIIP!

Leave a comment:

• MrsSimmons
    replied

If you decide to buy from that store again, insist that they cut your fabric off the bolt. I rip only across the selvage side of my fabric because there is little risk of stretching. However, on the bolt, the fabric would be ripped perpendicular to the selvage, and there will be the stretching that you experienced, wasting several inches (as you discovered).

So, in my opinion, it's a big no-no to rip off the bolt.

Leave a comment:

• Sandy Navas
    replied

The concept shell mentions is what I was taught years ago - a rip will go with the grain of the fabric. But, I haven't seen a shop doing that in absolutely AGES (when I lived with the dinosaurs). I do remember as a kid Mom would have my sister and I each grab a corner of the opened up cut of fabric and pull in opposite directions to realign the fabric grain when it was wonky from tearing. And, it will 'right itself' after washing.

It always amazes me that there are some stores that will cut the fabric with scissors still, when there are such wonderful rotary cut systems available. I'd love to check out a factory some time and see how they do it when the fabric is bolted because I've gotten some end of the bolt pieces that look like they were a practice cutting session for kindergarten children using plastic scissors.

Leave a comment:

• toggpine
    replied

You may have to wash it to see it square up though. I have seen fabric handled both ways around here. Mostly it is cut. If it doesn't work for what you want, you may want to try to take it back.

Leave a comment:

• shell.scraps
    replied

Lots of stores around here rip. It causes the fabric to go on the grain and you get much less fraying. Your fabric is usually straighter on a rip than on a cut since they don't take grain into account.

Leave a comment:

• janluna
    replied

Either complain to them and see if they change or don't shop there anymore. This sounds weird to me. I've never seen a shop, chain or not, rip the fabric. They cut it. Sorry you have to lose so much fabric. Hugs, Jan L

Leave a comment:

• izzymomma
    started a topic Ripping fabric

Ripping fabric

I was at one of the chain type craft stores and they were ripping fabric instead of cutting. Is this normal?

I went to get the backing material for a lap quilt and I got home and the ends that they ripped are so uneven I will have to cut off about 4" on each end to square it up. Any advice?
Working...
X