Baby rag quilt ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby rag quilt ?

I have five fat quaters i got in a bundle i want to make a baby rag quilt for my sister in law how many five in squares will i need to make a decent size quilt? I need to know if i need to get another bundle. i appreciate any help this is my first attempt at a quilt!

Re: Baby rag quilt ?

Louise,
    by my figures, which could be off a bit, you would get 12---5 inch blocks per fat quarter of fabric, which would give you 60 blocks total--4 would be extras, you would have 7 blocks across and 8 blocks down. This would give you an approximate finished size of 29" x 39", this is figured with a
    1/2 inch seam allowance on all blocks, which is pretty much standard for rag quilts--they fray better
    with 1/2 inch instead of 1/4 inch seam allowance. So, it all just depends on how big you want your quilt to be. I have one in the snipping stage that measures 35 x 41 and it's a pretty good size for a baby quilt. I finsihed one a couple of months ago that was a bit smaller and it was a good size too.
    Please, if anybody sees something wrong with my figures, correct me! Math most certainly is NOT my strong point.
    Lola
    :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

I don't mean to discourage you but I have seen warnings about giving a baby a rag quilt. It seems that a loose thread can become wrapped around the baby's finger or toes, cutting off the circulation. Also, there is concern that a loose thread might become a choking hazard. Go ahead and make the quilt but warn the new mom. She might want to use the quilt as a wall hanging or to wrap the baby in it only while being held.

Comment

I think you're figures are good lola. I think that would be a good size to lay over baby. After several washing lint or threads will not pose any hazard to baby. i've used them as well as give lots as gifts with no issues.
        “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I've never had an issue with long threads. You are snipping into the seam allowance that is on the top and everything that comes off is little pieces. The last one I made I washed and dried 3x and by the 3rd wash/dry there was very little on my dryer screen. I do shake the dickens out of them (outside) when I take the rag quilt out of the washer and dryer each time and I really think that helps alot.
          Our patio and back yard looked like it had pink and white confetti all over it!
          Lola
          :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

Boy is that the truth! My laundry room is right by the back door. I stand on the porch shaking them out and it looks like a blizzard. I usually wash mine 2 or 3 times, usually with a couple towels to help with the ragging. I clean the filters in the washer and dryer in between and never have a problem.
            “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Working...
            X