Just Mia again....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Mia again....

.... I've been having issues with what I thought was my quarter inch seam. I was using my presser foot as a guide and using the word "thought" again, I "thought" this was 1/4 inch. NOT! I had a light bulb moment this morning and I used a piece of white paper ... held the point of a pencil against the presser foot and sewed a couple of inches....leaving a pencil line. When I took out the paper and very carefully measured the distance between the seam and the line..... I found it was 5/16th of an inch, not the 4/16th. I'm such a ding dong sometimes lol

Thanks for letting me rant

Hugs
    Mia
    ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
    Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
    (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Re: Just Mia again....

And a widdie biddie 1/16th of an inch will throw everything off - but I use my pressure foot to do my seams, also. I always figured I had enough other problems . . . I wonder what the EX-perts do? It seems I've noticed they use the edge of the pressure foot?
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

hi ya mia.... love yor name... once had a sister named mia... any whoo... so have been there. i use a 1/4 seam ruler... helps me be a good seam allowence girl....
      all the best
      Gina

Comment

if you don't have a 1/4 inch foot you can use painters tape. measure it out on your machine and put the tape there. It will not leave a residue on your machine
        Patrice

Comment

Hi Mia! I actually use black electric tape, but it does leave a smidgen of stuff, so I have heard that painters tape is better. Then just sew following the side of that. I need to get me some of that.

Hugs,
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
          http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
          http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

I use electrician's tape too...mine's yellow. It's been there so long, it's lookin kinda gray...maybe time to try the painter's tape....blue's my fav color
            If at first you DO succeed, try not to look so surprised.

Comment

My foot does measures a little over a quarter inch too. I've just learnt from doing many seams and then measuring them afterwards to just sew a little bit inside. I can eyeball it pretty much spot on now!
              Quilting through the dull times
              northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Have you noticed in Jenny's tuts that it often appears she's not watching exactly how wide the seam is? That must come from years and years of practice - maybe by touch (you know, feeling the edge of the fabric against the edge of the tape with her fingers?).

So far much of the quilting I have done wasn't done to any specifics . . . in other words, wonkiness at times was encouraged. And, if it wasn't the right size once put together then it was trimmed to be even. That must be why I love self-creativeness and crazy quilts fall into that category.
                Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Originally posted by Patrice View Post
                  if you don't have a 1/4 inch foot you can use painters tape. measure it out on your machine and put the tape there. It will not leave a residue on your machine
                  Living in Luxembourg we don't use your measures . I also taped 1/4 inch on my sewing machine and I don't know if it leaves a mark on the machine or not, but it helps me.
                  sigpicgreetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle

Comment

Working...
                  X