quilting groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quilting groups

Do any of you belong to quilting groups, like at church or in the community? Another woman and I are talking about starting a quilting group at church with a few other women but I'm not exactly sure how I want it to work. What are some of the things you all have done in quilting groups? i'm just looking for ideas. I thought we might learn new quilting techniques, to an exchange, make a scrappy quilt for charity together, help each other with projects, maybe do a block of the month type of thing.

Re: quilting groups

I have only recently joined one in my area. You may want to check around as there may be one close by. The one I have joined has a monthly meeting. They usually have some special program - perhaps a new pattern or demonstration, sometimes a swap, a pot luck dinner and conversation, a quilt-a-long, etc. The month before I joined they all brought their portables and made pillowcases for charity. Another time they made (and are still making) special breasts for mastectomy patients. They also have an on-going baby blanket cause for a local Childrens hospital. They participate in a Shop Hop where they caravan on a given weekend to participating quilt shops within a certain radius. The participating quilting shops have special bargains, demos, just for this event.

Check around first and if you decide to do your own, there are many ideas floating out there.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I don't .. I take a class when I want to learn something new..or I have a "sew-in" with my girl friends and we each bring an idea to show everyone else...I just don't have time to join another group at this point!!
      Michele

Comment

YOU Ladies are MY group!! I don't have the time to "dedicate" to a weekly or monthly meeting....but I can sure log on here every now and then (even at midnight! LOL) YAY!
        Last edited by pdjewelrylady; January 16, 2011, 08:26 PM.
        Two of my favorite things, to encourage and to be encouraged
        hugs, Suzi
        http://suzi.mypremierdesigns.com/
        it's what i do when i'm not here sewing with you

GOD Bless America

Comment

Originally posted by shell.scraps View Post
          I don't .. I take a class when I want to learn something new..or I have a "sew-in" with my girl friends and we each bring an idea to show everyone else...I just don't have time to join another group at this point!!
          This will probably be more like a "sew-in" as we have all known each other for a long time. Several of us stay after church much longer than our families care for because we are talking about quilting. This would give us a time and place to talk about quilting without our families watching the clock. I just thought it might be good to offer something more formal in case there are people who want to learn about quilting.

Comment

Originally posted by pdjewelrylady View Post
            YOU Ladies are MY group!!
            I should have thought of that. Perfect!!!
            Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
            it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I belong to a quilt guild; we meet once a month at a local quilt shop which is awesome because the quilt shop owner gives us 20% off on anything in the store on meeting night; We have a lady doing a block of the month which is fun, we recieve a pattern each month then bring our finished block back for show and tell the next month. We have teachers come in and teach special techniques which is allways awemsome. This month one of our members will be teaching the disappearing nine patch. I am new to quilting so I learn something new each month and the ladies are wonderful, I love going to my meetings.

Comment

Sherrie, aren't you the lucky one??? That sounds like the absolutely perfect quilt group, especially with that 20% off!!!

There's a group that meets in the public library near my home, and I'm anxious to go. I hope my experience is as positive as yours, even though there's no fabric shopping involved.
                There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Working...
                X