card trick block frustration!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

card trick block frustration!

I'm taking a little break from these because I'm having issues....
    1st 2 blocks came out apporx. 10" square, but my points were off. Next 3 blocks had great points, but measured just over 9" square.....
    I have no idea how this happened but will keep trying.
    Instead of redoing them (which would most likely stretch out my fabrics and warp my triangles), I'm just going to add a border around the smaller blocks with the background fabric to make them measure the same. Not sure how that will affect the overall look, but we'll see....more blocks to do first.
    Has anyone else done this style of block before and have any tips for me?

Re: card trick block frustration!

A photo and maybe a description of our piecing method may be helpful as there are several different ways of constructing this block including a quick piece method. Some end up square on and some finish on point and all are done differently. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.
    Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

A photo and maybe a description of your piecing method may be helpful as there are several different ways of constructing this block including a quick piece method. Some end up square on and some finish on point and all are done differently. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.
      Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

I was not familiar with this block pattern so did a search. I LOVE it, but knowing me the way I do, I can just see how I'd never wind up with the same size blocks.

We love pictures!
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Originally posted by chrina2 View Post
          I'm taking a little break from these because I'm having issues....
          1st 2 blocks came out apporx. 10" square, but my points were off. Next 3 blocks had great points, but measured just over 9" square.....
          I have no idea how this happened but will keep trying.
          Instead of redoing them (which would most likely stretch out my fabrics and warp my triangles), I'm just going to add a border around the smaller blocks with the background fabric to make them measure the same. Not sure how that will affect the overall look, but we'll see....more blocks to do first.
          Has anyone else done this style of block before and have any tips for me?
          I have made a card tricks quilt and have posted pictures in the show and tell section(Some of my quilts) don't know why I didn't just put them in my album. But It was several years ago and as you will see my points weren't the best but I don't remember the blocks being off that much. I just found a small picture in a magazine and traced it, blew it up and cut out a pattern from cardboard and went to town on it. I guess it was a miracle it came out as good as it did with no more thought than I put into it. I am not sure what is going on with your blocks. Sorry I can't help.

Comment

I got back at it and tried something new.....starch. Since all the blocks had to be sewn on the bias, I think I was stretching my blocks too much. Then I came upon a few of my scraps that had been starched, and when I started working with those, my blocks were near perfect (that means to me the mistakes were not too obvious). My points still need work, but they were much better after I used spray starch on my fabrics.

Other then that, I also may have cut my first few blocks wrong --> I spent an entire evening starching and being really careful to cut properly after.....

Pics are hard for me to upload on here. All my pics are large files, and I'm not savy enough to downsize them......one day I'll get some up.

Comment

Originally posted by chrina2 View Post
              Pics are hard for me to upload on here. All my pics are large files, and I'm not savy enough to downsize them......one day I'll get some up.
              Hi, do you, perhaps, have a program on your computer called "Microsoft Photo Editor"? If so, open that program, do an open and search for your picture and open it. Then at the top of the page click on the Image pull-down menu and select resize. There will be a dialog box that comes up that shows the size of the picture. In one of the dimension (width or height) boxes type in 800 or less. Click okay. Do File/Save.

Now in the forum when you compose a message and want to insert a photo or an attachment, click the paper clip in the line under the title block and follow instructions on the page that comes up.

Hope that helps you. i was having so many frustrating times just yesterday because I thought I had resized my pictures when I hadn't saved what I had done . . .

Comment

Glad to hear it's going together better for you. I've been sorting out some fabric to try a card trick, too. I made a carpenters star quilt last fall and I did find my points came out better when I used starch(something I hadn't tried before).
                “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Just curious as to the type/brand of starch everyone uses. I have tried it but don't get the finish I really expect from starch. While it does help smooth the fabric out it doesn't give the stiffness that I am used to (from YEARS gone by when I used to starch hubby's shirts).

Do you look for a finishing starch or . . . I sound so naive . . . are there various 'stiffening' properties that they rate. It's been a long time since I shopped for starch.

Comment

I have niagara right now. It does add quite a bit of stiffness. Make sure you don't get"sizing" it adds body but no stiffness. I don't think spray starch makes fabric as stiff as the stuff we used to mix up though.
                    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Sandy, I started a thread in quilting questions with the starch preference question.....I didn't mean to hijack your good idea, just wanted to make sure we could all find the info. I hope that it's ok??
                      I just thought it was such a good question, it needs it's own title!
                      Lola
                      :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

I've been playing around with my card trick blocks. some have turned out quite well, others are a bit off. Overall I'm pleased with it. I've lost a few points but i don't think it is throws it off too much. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow so you all can see.

― Albert Pine

Comment

this is one squares I've done. I'm thinking of using the same fabric as the border, blue maybe.
                          Attached Files

― Albert Pine

Comment

I have never seen this block before and think it is adorable. Oh the possibilities. I am mentally going through my stash right now. Gotta finish up a few others first. My familiy is on a waiting list. haha

I think your colors are great. Do you have a recipient in mind??

Cheri

Comment

not really. It will go into my box of baby quilts . most will go to my gks as they are born. some will be donated to a charity auction I support. If I'm reallly pleased with it when I'm finished I'll enter it in the county fair next summer. I usually have one or two that I enter along with some other things. sometimes I do well, some years not. it's always fun! If I'm lucky the premiums cover the entry fee.

one of the reasons I do baby quilts is to try out patterns. i usually have enough fabric around to make a block or two to see if I like it. pillow tops are another way I test drive a block to see if I really want to do an entire quilt with it. Last year I tried string quilting and decided I really didn't like that method but I ended up with enough blocks to put together for a small quilt.

― Albert Pine

Comment

Working...
                              X