Quilting Advice Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting Advice Needed

I just finished the quilt top for my daughter's twin bed (yay!), but I'm at a loss on the quilting design for it and the thread color I should use. Here are a couple of pictures I just took to show you the design against the border and a close-up of the colors.

I'm only comfortable doing straight-line quilting, but how do you think I should do it? Stitch in the ditch? Outline the blocks? Just straight lines for the length/width?

Also, what color thread do you think would blend the best? I forgot to take a picture of the background fabric...it's a pink plaid that's the same shade as the pink print on the front. Do you think pink would be best or would it show too much on the black?

I've been wracking my brain over this and need some experienced advice.

Thanks in advance!

~Summer
    Last edited by SummerK; January 15, 2011, 11:52 AM.
    Come by and see what I'm up to on my blog...
    Summer Lee Quilts

Re: Quilting Advice Needed

I think I would do straight stitching diagonally across the quilt in both directions so it makes diamonds on the quilt and I would use a pink to match the border fabric. Just my opinion.

Comment

My first thought if you are doing quilting that will show is try and find a nice variegated pink in the mid to lighter tones that would match your pink fabric. Because the black has pink spots in it I don't think putting pink thread on it would detract from it. If you decide to quilt in the ditch then aim to match the mid pink print and use the same thread in your bobbin. I try to match my top and bobbin thread so that no 'poke' through will show but if you use a variegated pink on the top you should get away with using a mid pink to match you back fabric in the bobbin.

As to design the diamond idea sounds nice but if you are happy to ditch stitch it that would be fine. As to how much, I would probably at least go around each square but check on your batting information about how closely you need to quilt, it may need more than just around the squares.

By the way, the quilt is very beautiful, I especially like that black with the spot.
      Last edited by Dragonfly; January 15, 2011, 04:58 PM.
      Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

See, this is why I brought it here...already you have given my things I've not thought of! I had never thought about doing the diagonals...I don't know how comfortable I'd be doing it for that large of quilt, but maybe if I carefully marked the lines first...

Dragonfly, thank you for kind words about my quilt! I had never considered using the variegated pink...but I love the idea of it!

If anyone else has an opinion, I'd love to hear it! I'll be going to "town" on Tuesday or Wednesday to get my quilting thread, so I want to have a clear idea of what I'm going to do by then.
        Summer Lee Quilts

Comment

I love the varigated pink idea! And by using it on the black areas, that would just make it pop!
          I am working on a cowboy quilt that has black and tans in it. I troubled my mind over using black thread in the tan areas, but I figured I'd try it and I think it is tieing it all together.
          Can't wait to see a photo when it's done.
          It's very pretty, by the way.

Hugs,
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
          http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
          http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

I would use a varigated pink thread as well. Love the quilt. very pretty
            Patrice

Comment

I completely agree with using the variegated pink thread for starters, and as for the quilting, I think the previous post of diagonals would be perfect. If you were ready to quilt stitch in the ditch or horizontals, you won't have any issues with diagonals......it'll look great when done!

Comment

Thank you all for the compliments on the quilt! I can't wait to see it on her bed. She has a white bed and purple walls...it should be really pretty, and I have enough leftover fabric to make a pillow case too!

I'm in agreement...the idea of the variegated pink thread just gets better and better in my mind. I like the idea of diagonals too...I'm just fighting confidence on it...lol.

I saw a tutorial on straight-line quilting the other day where she used two lines about a half-inch apart and then a single line a couple inches away. She just used it on the horizontal; however, wouldn't that be cute on the diagonals? Especially where the lines cross.

I <3 quilting.

~Summer
                Summer Lee Quilts

Comment

Working...
                X