Prewashing fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prewashing fabric

I know that you must prewash your fabric before you do any cutting, but what about charm packs, layer cakes and jelly rolls? Should you prewash these, too?

Re: Prewashing fabric

Hi!
    It's not recommended to wash the pre-cuts, as you will have a mess of raveling threads. I can just imagine how much fun that would be....LOL
    Lola
    :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

And can I just say that there is no real rule that says you must wash your fabric before cutting... there are pros and cons on both sides, each person should decide what works best for themselves. Personally I do not wash unless I suspect it may bleed dye.
      Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

I stopped washing my fabric beforehand, and am pleased with how much easier it is to handle.
        There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Deb is so right on the fabric being easier to handle. No more hours spent pressing washed fabric before you can even think about cutting it, just a quick press for any wrinkles from being on the bolt and you are ready to cut or in the case of pre-cuts ready to sew .
          I will say that if I buy fabric to make bibs, burp cloths or flannel for handmade receiving blankets, etc.......I usually do wash that, because I put embroidery designs on them and I don't want shrinkage afterwards.
          I have heard that quality, quilt shop fabric does not shrink like chain store fabrics and that any little bit of shrinkage just adds to the wrinkly,crinkly quilty goodness.
          Lola
          :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

I am a member of the don't wash a thing before you use it club...unless it's a dark red...then I will sometimes wash it just to get the over dye out...if I don't wash then I use a color catcher in the wash when I wash the final project...
            Michele

Comment

I have found that even fabrics you don't think will bleed will sometimes bleed. My grandmother made my daughter a quilt in a beautiful light pink ballerina print. I would never have guessed that light pink was going to bleed. She did not prewash it. I washed it when we got it (smelled strong of cigarette smoke) and the center of the quilt turned yellow. Sadly, this was one of the last quilts my grandmother made. She lost her eye site shortly after that. She was 88 or 89 when she made this quilt. I was so upset about this. She uses it sometimes, but I think she would have used it as her primary bed quilt if it wasn't for the yellow spot. It ruined it for my daughter.

Comment

Originally posted by poppymom23 View Post
                I have found that even fabrics you don't think will bleed will sometimes bleed. My grandmother made my daughter a quilt in a beautiful light pink ballerina print. I would never have guessed that light pink was going to bleed. She did not prewash it. I washed it when we got it (smelled strong of cigarette smoke) and the center of the quilt turned yellow. Sadly, this was one of the last quilts my grandmother made. She lost her eye site shortly after that. She was 88 or 89 when she made this quilt. I was so upset about this. She uses it sometimes, but I think she would have used it as her primary bed quilt if it wasn't for the yellow spot. It ruined it for my daughter.
                I would guess (as a former smoker who has ruined a lot of clothes in the past) that the yellowing was from the smoke and it wasn't really noticeable until it was washed. And if that was the last quilt that I got from my grandmother...I wouldn't care what the condition it would be a treasure!! My boys have afghans that my grandmother crocheted before she lost function in her hands...she swore that I was going to have girls so they are yellow and pink....but my boys treasure those blankets cause they know that she isn't able to make them another one....

Whatever the case...I always suggest using a color catcher when you are washing quilts.
                Michele

Comment

it is cherished, she just doesn't use it as her bed quilt because it looks like it has been peed on and left to dry. She uses it all the time when she watches TV or reads or studies during the winter. She is always cold. It probably doesn't mean as much to her as it does to me though. She has only met her great grandma twice in her life.

Comment

It would be interesting to see a photo of this quilt, I suspect Michele could be right about the smoke being the culprit rather then the fabric colour, is it just in one area rather adjacent to all of the pink fabric. Not that it will change anything for you but it would be nice to be able to learn from this. Would it be possible for you to post a photo, I would very much appreciate it.
                    Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Thanks, everyone , for your advice on prewashing fabrics. I'm so glad to hear it's not necessary to do. I hated fighting all the ravelings. Now I can get down to business alot quicker!

Comment

Originally posted by poppymom23 View Post
                        it is cherished, she just doesn't use it as her bed quilt because it looks like it has been peed on and left to dry. She uses it all the time when she watches TV or reads or studies during the winter. She is always cold. It probably doesn't mean as much to her as it does to me though. She has only met her great grandma twice in her life.
                        I'm just curious if you have tried washing the quilt again or sending it to a dry cleaner. I am a nut about getting stains out of things (except I have learned that Thera-Putty stains cannot be removed - see other posts I've made). My daughter will discard something the grandkids have stained badly and I'll bring them home and salvage them. I'll use anything I can get my hands on and wash many times until the stain comes out. I have been able to save things that weren't checked and had the stain heat-set in the dryer, too.

Send me the quilt and I'll try my 'talents' (sorry, don't laugh folks - it is just that I am a fool and will always rush in where wise men fear to tread . . .) on removing the yellowness on her quilt . . .
                        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I'll try to post a picture of it when I get a chance and if I can figure out how to post a picture.

Sandy, my daughter got the quilt when she was 8, and she is now 18. It's been washed lots and lots of times. It isn't as obvious as it once was as the pink has faded over time, and so has the yellow. When we first washed it, it was really obvious. I once found a sheet in the corner of a closet that one of my cat's urinated on and I could never get the stain out-that is exactly what the quilt looked like when I first washed it. I sat down and cried. What's funny is my son's quilt was dark browns and blacks (horse print) and it didn't fade at all. It still looks as good as it did when we first got it. It smelled just as badly of smoke. Also, about the smoke smell-my grandmother didn't smoke, but my dad does. It was only in the smoking house to get packed up and mailed. It wasn't quilted in a smoking house. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Comment

Working...
                          X