quiting a crazy quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quiting a crazy quilt

My first quilt (experiment) was a crazy quilt. I just made blocks and top stitched with my machines decorative stitches. Then I put then together with strips and a double border. Should I quilt all over the quilt or stitch in the ditch?

Re: quiting a crazy quilt

No expert here - but my first crazy quilt (it's pictured in Show and Tell recently) was a crazy quilt made from neckties. I did decorative hand stitching on it. It has no batting. I joined my 18x18 inch squares with sashing and then added a heavy fleece type fabric to the back and bound it. THEN i went in and randomly tied the quilt to the backing . . . here and there, everywhere - no set pattern. And it has held up well. Sure love to snuggle under it, and it is very comfortable and I'm proud of it.

I don't think I'd stitch in the ditch. I've never seen a crazy quilt that was 'quilted'.

Awaiting response from more 'seasoned' quilters . . . They probably are all in bed by now.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I've never quilted a crazy quilt...I wonder if it would be okay hand tied??
      Michele

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I used warm and natural batting with a coordinating back. I think I'll try the tying method. Thanks again.

Comment

I'd personally do an all over squiggle style stitch. If the top is crazy, then the stitching can be too and it would sort of go with the crazy quilt top theme.

That is my opinion - but all the others options would work well too.

Chrina2

Comment

Working...
          X