Opinions, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions, please

I'm working on a wall hanging of 3 Dresden Plates, made with a Wild Rose charm pack from MSQC. I had planned to use natural yardage from them as the background, but when I experimented with the first plate I thought the yardage looked too plain. I bought a patterned tan (it looks golder in the picture than it is) and think it's too close to the tones in the Dresden to work well...

Do either of these back a good background??
    Attached Files
    There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Re: Opinions, please

Personally, I think the tan is much to busyvfor the plate, and you are right, the natural is plain. Just a thought here, why not go with a brown or red/rust to make the plate really pop?
    Great job, the plate is really pretty!
    ~Laurie

Comment

Well, I don't like the gold with it though personally it is one of my favorite fabrics. I am using a soft pink in it right now in a quilt. I also think a Mossy Green might be pretty for the background

Comment

I agree with Larie..I would pick a nice rich color from the plate and get maybe a tone on tone of that color for the background....very nice though!!
        Michele

Comment

I'd go with a richer color. The Dresden plate has beautiful colors and I'd accent one of the richer colors.

Comment

Agree with everyone here - neither of the colors you show are making the plate POP - Why don't you take it with you to the fabric store and play around. I like the idea of the moss green or the darker reddish tone but there may be another color in there that's not showing up well in the photos - something tiny that would work better than any of those. Play with it.
            Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
            it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Call me crazy but I like the gold one! It makes the red and greens show up to me. But try others first before doing anything. I have found if I question something I'm usually right. Understand me? LOL
              Saundra

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door! God bless the USA!:icon_wave:

Comment

I would take it to the quilt shop and lay it on different fabrics - you never know what surprises will be there! Love your plates!

Comment

I think a fabric audition is in store for you. You might look for a cream/light that has one of the colors as a all over print. I am blue/green kinda gal, and there don't seem to be too many of them in the plate. Do you have to have the same background fabric in all of the blocks? Many fabric lines that the same print in several colors. That might work to accent different blades in different blocks and yet still tie them all together.

Good work on your Dresden!
                  Cathy
                  Be who you are and say what you feel
                  because those who mind don't matter,
                  and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks for all the help, ladies! After reading the replies I tried it on a brown background, and it DID look a lot better, so I'm off to the store this weekend to play around with some richer tones, especially the mossy green, which sounds like a winner.

Thanks so much!
                    There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

I agree with everyone about a deeper, richer color. I also put an album out on my profile that is an idea of a project I hope to make sometime. It interchanges the background and makes for an interesting quilt top using the Dresden. Here is a photo of my "keeper" idea.

I don't know if you noticed - but the alternate center of the Dresden is the background of the other block. So, if you use ivory background, it has the gold center, and gold background uses the ivory in its center. Just a thought to help with bringing in colors to tie it all together. The moss green someone else suggested would be great in the sashing also.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by debi weaver; January 14, 2011, 08:38 AM. Reason: adding more information

Comment

based on the pictures, I see a blue or a greenish color in your plates.....might be a nice idea to pop those colors out if you could find a background that is just a shade lighter then the colors in the plates? I'm all about color popping! This way too, all the other shades of reds/golds/browns would really stand out against it.

The two background you have would not do your work justice as it blends too much.

Comment

The fabric audition went well :-) and the winner is... Mossy Green! I'm happy with the project so far... except that my perfect circle seems to have morphed into a less than perfect shape when I stitched it down so will probably have to fix that (or leave it as a Design Feature :-)).
                          Attached Files

Comment

Deb, I absolutely love your choice. And I certainly Love your design feature. Now future quilters will be making the Dresden plate just like yours.

Hugs!!
                            Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                            it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Deb
                              Just peeking in and reading this. You certainly received some sage advice and I am in love with the mossy green choice. Also, our Sandy is soooo right. folks will want to emulate your palette choice.
                              Congrats!

Blondie
                              Sewing mends the soul.
                              sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                              Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                              ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Working...
                              X