Some advice please....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some advice please....

hi again....... I have a couple of questions and thank you in advance for your help.

1. Is there a straight pin that is better than others? Mine seem to dull very quickly.

2. What is your preference for batting for baby quilts? Is there a general purpose one that isn't too thick or puffy?

Thank you again .....
    ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
    Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
    (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Re: Some advice please....

Hi Mia

1. Without knowing what brand you are using I don't know if my suggestion is going to be an improvement but there are some specific quilting pins. I'm in Australia so there may be some variation in brand but there are two that I use. 1) the yellow head quilting pin, this is longer and thinner than a standard pin and because it is thinner they have a sharper point, slide easily into fabric and leaves less mark in your fabric. 2) the 'flower' head pin, also specifically quilting, again these are long and quite thin but with the advantage that they lay flat on the fabric (no ball head). I use these the most but they are more expensive. I still have the standard pearl head shorter pins for general use like poking into things on my design board.

2. I may not be any help here as I'm sure we have different batting but we have one that is called O Sew Soft, it's a polyester that looks and feels like cotton, is lovely to quilt and the best part is it can be thrown in the wash without too much thought. I have been using it in nearly all my baby/children quilts because these invariably need a lot more washing than the average quilt and this product works so well under these conditions. Hopefully you will have something similar. Please don't use those older 'marshmallow' type polyester battings though, they are just not the same thing.

I hope this may be of some help.
    Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Hi Mia, I use the pins with the yellow heads that you can buy from Joann's Fabric. They last a long time. I've had some for years and they still work just fine. As for the batting I like Warm and Natural, and also the new bamboo batting. It's really nice, and is light and its sewing green. It costs a little more but worth it. After all your quilt will be an heirloom so you want good stuff that will last. Of course this is only my opinion and I'm sure others who are more experienced can help more. Hugs, Jan
      Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

For straight pins I like the flower head flat head pins. You can use a certain color to designate rows/columns or you can use a sharpie to write numbers on them to help keep track.

As far as batting, I don't use a different kind on different projects. I use warm and white on everything since I buy it by the roll (about 100 yards at a time).
        Michele

Comment

I also use the flat headed pins. They are much sharper. I wasn't happy with the pins I had so when I saw some on clearance I was thrilled.

For batting I use the Warm & Natural or Warm & White and buy by the yard or package, stocking up when it's on sale.

Good luck on your quilting!
          Patti
          "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

Hi Mia. I am new to this forum. I use the pins with the yellow flower and also the warm and natural batting. Looks like these are a favorite. Elaine
            Elaine:icon_wave:

Comment

You guys are great ........ thank you so very much. Please forgive me if I'm being a pest with all my questions, but it's so nice to be able to get advice from experienced (and very kind) quilters. Wish you all a great day...

Mia
              ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
              Mia

Comment

Originally posted by Mia View Post
                You guys are great ........ thank you so very much. Please forgive me if I'm being a pest with all my questions, but it's so nice to be able to get advice from experienced (and very kind) quilters. Wish you all a great day...

Mia
                You are certainly not being a pest!! We all started somewhere and had a ton of questions....and you are welcome to ask any of them at any time!!
                Michele

Comment

What do you mean HAD a bunch of questions?? I'm still asking questions!! LOL So Mia ask away, what we don't know, someone else will and we can always do research ie: Ask Jenny!!! LOL
                  Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Oh thanks...... that makes me feel better.... lol

I have been making pillow cases all day...... so much fun and a quick project.

hugs
                    Mia
                    ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                    Mia

Comment

Originally posted by Mia View Post
                      Oh thanks...... that makes me feel better.... lol

I have been making pillow cases all day...... so much fun and a quick project.

hugs
                      Mia

Love making pillow cases!! and you can make them with just a yard of fabric!! so easy...
                      Michele

Comment

Working...
                      X