newbie question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie question

I am a fairly new quilter with a question. I am making a baby quilt for a friend of mine. This is only my 3rd quilt ever. It is about 38"x52". The backing has some large butterflies and lady bugs on it. I used my darning foot and stitched around the lady bugs. Each lady bug is about 3 inches in diameter and they are anywhere from 5 to 9 inches apart. Is that enough quilting to keep the batting from bunching up between the lady bugs? It's fairly thin batting as it rarely gets very cold here so a really heavy quilt is not needed.

I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Re: newbie question

Hi there

The amount of quilting is very dependant on the type of batting, not necessarily the thickness. You should look at the packaging from your batting, it should tell you the best/maximum quilting distance. If you bought it as a cut from a store (ie no packaging) then check with the store. I would hazard to guess that the 9" will be too much, there are very few battings that would allow this much unquilted area. The general rule of thumb if you do not know is to quilt with gaps no wider than your hand.

Can I suggest filling that area with a free machined wandering line with a few loops in it like you would see in a drawing to graphically show the path of a bee or other insect. I have used this very successfully on children's quilts in borders and open areas and it is very simple to sew even for someone new to machine quilting.
    Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

What a cute idea, Dragonfly :-).
      There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

thanks. That is a really cute idea.

Comment

Working...
        X