1st Duvet cover quilt - need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Duvet cover quilt - need help

I've just completed the top for my king size duvet cover. This was one project I was not going to attempt to quilt on my machine like I've done for all others. I decided to make a duvet cover and finally start using my duvet again!

The top is done in patchwork (very simple and pretty design), but my thoughts are this....

.....When I make a quilt and 'quilt it' the 3 layers are together with all the quilting and there is no worries about anything 'coming apart'. With a duvet cover, there is nothing really holding the layers together as the duvet will be tied to the cover in the corners and that is it. With a lot of shifting and moving and tugging on the blanket when in use, I'm worried about all my patchwork on the top.....

Should I use something like interfacing or something on the back of my top piece before assembling it to the back for daily use?

Generally, I keep the covers on the duvet for a few months before pulling it off and washing it and changing to another cover, and with the rough use of a blanket on our bed, along with the size of it, I'm really worried that the stitching will not be strong enough over time.

Am I worrying about nothing? Or is there something I could iron on or add to the back of my top piece to give it stability and strength?

Thanks everyone! I really need all the thoughts from you all as I am still very new to quilting (only started in this new addicting hobby about 4 months ago!)

Chrina2

Re: 1st Duvet cover quilt - need help

I'd recommend backing the patchwork. You don't need to put any batting in but I think you're right in worrying about the tugging on the patchwork. With only a 1/4 inch seam there isn't much strength to resist pulling so I'd layer it with solid back.

You shouldn't need to quilt through the layers but I think if you cut a piece of fabric the same size as the top and place it underneath then you could just sew around the edge to anchor it in place.

That might be enough to give the top strength.
    Quilting through the dull times
    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Re: 1st Duvet cover quilt - need help

I agree with the comment above. I'd lay the backing and top wrong sides together, and stitch along the sides flip it right side out then hand stitch it. Then I also might tie that layer to prevent shifting, but that's just my opinion. Then you can attach it to whatever fabric you have for the underside of the duvet cover. I love duvets and I'm really curious to see how your project turns out, because I may add it to my to do simeday list. Good luck!
      Lin
      Lin

Comment

Working...
      X