Frustrated, It's not straight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frustrated, It's not straight.

I am getting frustrated. I am patient, taking my time, and trying to make sure I am lining everything up perfectly. I am ironing and setting the seams like Jenny shows in the videos. I am pinning the seams. It is still not right.
    I completed the 9 patch, I am working on D9. The first row lined up good. The last row how,ever did not. So I got out the seam ripper and took it off. I lined it up again, pinned it at the seams. It looks better but is still a little off. Now I could live with the little off, even though I'm a perfectionist. However, I need to measure to figure out the 1/2 so I can cut it. Since it's off a little, it measures one thing at the top and another at the middle row. Ugh, I don't see how anyone gets them perfect. Please help!!!!

Re: Frustrated, It's not straight.

Please don't let that frustrate you. Over 20 years ago I took some quilt classes at a local quilt store, and it was a nightmare. I'm definitely not a perfectionist, but those ladies were. They would make me rip out everything that didn't match and do it over. I was happy with it--but to them it was just taboo to do that. I threw up my hands and quite quilting--claiming I just couldn't do it. A few years ago thanks to the internet, I found a group of quilters that were "liberated" and perfect points didn't matter. So now I quilt away and all of my quilts are way less than perfect, but I'm fine with it. Heck most of the people in this world don't quilt, and when they see your handiwork, they think it's a masterpiece.
    Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Comment

Thanks, I'm not frustrated to the point of quiting. I'm loving it to much. I'm just really trying to get it right. I see what you mean though. You don't know how close I have come to just taking that ruler and eyeballing it and start cutting. I am willing to take it out again and redo it. I don't know what to do different that would make it line up the 3rd time around.

I wonder if it could be my machine. I even pinned each square cause after I would line them up it and was sewing straight. It would look like it shifted by the time I got to the end of the square.

Probably just lack of experience though. When I did my first baby quilts, I can tell a big differnce from that to just this 9patch. Just learning to iron after each time to set the seams and to pin on the seams made a big difference. I hardly ironed anything on those quilts.

I thought I would see if anyone had any tips to help me before I went ahead with it the way it is.

This is only my fourth and will be my first table runner if thats what I stick to.

Comment

I'm definitely not an expert like so many on this forum, but are you making sure your seams are ironed in opposite directions and you are "nesting" them. Not really stacking, instead butting them together? I'm sure I not explaining this correctly, but someone else probably could better than I am.
        Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Comment

Yeah maybe thats what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I stacked them instead of nested. Not really sure. Maybe I can find a close up detailed video or someone can try to explain some more.

Comment

I found a video that explains it.
            http://video.about.com/quilting/Nest...uilt-Seams.htm
            Lisa

Comment

Misty
              I was taught by my granny who never knew a template or even how to read. She would rarely have a truly squared block. That is how I have quilted all my life. Until the internet and meeting those who were trained with new stuff, like rulers, cutters, mats. I am building my supply "equiltment" slowly. I am so far from perfect in my stitching and piecing. I have a tendency to go with primitive look stuff. Not that it is sloppy; I look for the old fashioned graces that go along with make do.
              I agree with our sweet lhayes that most folks don't know how to see mistakes in quilting. They are just blown away that YOU have done it.

Now I told you that to tell you this. When I think the points and seams will really matter, I look for a pattern that can be paper pieced. A lot of Jenny's patterns can be found on many paper piecing sites. Some folks are just durn good at measuring, cutting, and 1/4 inch sewing. I am not. I admit it. But I can follow the lines on paper piecing.
              Perhaps if you did a few of those blocks, it would help you out?

Blessings to you. Hope you haven't pulled your hair out yet!
              Blondie
              Sewing mends the soul.
              sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
              Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
              ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Misty, sorry to see you are frustrated, been there done that.
                Try pressing your block again, most of the time when I have wonkiness, I press again and it's much better.
                I tend to be on the perfectionist side as well, but I am learning to be easier on myself.
                Keep us updated on how things are going, please............
                Lola
                :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

Don't get frustrated. Quilting is not as easy as it looks sometimes....just take your time and try again. Sometimes it's a seam that isn't pressed just right...or the row wasn't even when you started and it got thrown off..

take a deep breath..relax your shoulders....let the machine do the work....and breathe....
                  Michele

Comment

Ok so here are some pics of the 9Patch. I have redone it like 5 or 6 times. I,m done its just gona have to stay a little (my new favorite new word) wonky.

The first one is what I have done. The second pic is a close up of the not lined up points and the 3rd a little blurry close up of the ones that look fine I think.
                    When I pressed it again its still off. One measurement across the top and another across the middle. I think I am about to get the ruler and eyeball it and cut. Oh my......

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/x...0/102_0171.jpg

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/x...0/102_0173.jpg

Comment

You mentioned that 'at the end of the block the sewing gets off'. I think that is true with any block - somehow those feed dogs tend to turn the block just a little at the end. Maybe stop sewing right near the end and have a sharp tool to hold on to the end as you finish sewing the block. Hope that helps.

Hugs,
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                      http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                      http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

In my world that is perfect. LOL!
                        Lisa

Comment

that looks great to me. I have been quilting for 25 years and still always learning something new. With each quilt you make you will learn something. do you have a 1/4 in foot. this is a must have for me. If not you can always mark your machine with masking tape or painters tape to give you that 1/4 inch line. painters tape will not leave a residue. also once I make all my blocks I will square them all up before I put them together. you are dong fine and I have learned over the years that you may see your mistakes and it drive you crazy but most people will not. I think us quilters have a tendency to be to hard on ourselves. have fun and you are doing great
                          Patrice

Comment

Thanks so much for you encouragment and help. I folded it in half and pressed and then opened and went ahead and cut it. I think it will be ok. I'm moving on to the next block. It doesn't have to be perfect it still looks way better than what I have done before. So I know I'm learning.

I'm sure I will be back with more questions. Especiallly since I have never done a binding.
                            I have only done the sandwich thing and turned it. Don't know how to quilt it correctly either.

Comment

Misty it looks great! You are being to hard on yourself. I used to do that with knitting. You would work so close to the stitches that you saw any imperfection in the yarn and rip it out and reknit. So I use to tell my girls get up and put the sweater, coat, skirt, whatever away from you. Go have a cup of tea, and then go look at the garment from across the room and tell me what you see. They would say, "oh my Gosh, it looks fantastic." You just work so close that you see all the imperfections in the cloth, the stitches or whatever so nothing looks good. Give yourself a break. It look great! Hugs, Jan L
                              Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Working...
                              X