Quilting for colorblind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting for colorblind

My uncle is red deficient for his color vision. Basically red and even green looks more like a gold color even side by side if they're they same tone they are indisquishable. Everything is pretty much either black, white, blue so long as it is very blue or yellowish gold color. He's pushing 70 and has no plans at all to get color vision contacts or glasses.

My mom and I want to make him a sampler quilt this year and were planning on stepping away from the red, white and blue theme for his might-as-well be wife. They are perfect together and have been together over 20 years now but zero plans to get married, but every plan to grow old and die together. She absolutely loves quilts so the sampler idea was more for her benefit than my uncle's.

Now thanks to technology we can simulate in real time what my uncle sees in colors to pick out colors for our quilt but his lack of color vision does diminish the variety he sees greatly. My husband says to just pick the colors we want and not to worry about my uncle's enjoyment as he has already gone a lifetime admiring quilts by others without consideration to the full spectrum of colors he might be missing out on.

Mom and I still want to have the contrast there if not the coloration for him but still want it to look cohesive to one with the full spectrum of color vision. Challenging to say the least, though we believe it might be possible, hard to judge.

Has anyone else attempted to make a colorblind friendly quilt? Could maybe prints provide the contrast otherwise lacking in colors? Or should we, as my DH thinks, ignore his colorblindness and just make the quilt as we would for anyone else? Or, of course, there is the option to just make it a blue and white quilt, and hope blue is my (not) Aunt's favorite color lol. Though truly blue loses a lot of distinction as well.

It is sweet of you to want to make your uncle a quilt. My uncle is, also, color blind. I made him a QOV and he loved it.. I did not take into consideration his color spectrum and it’s very special to him…..mostly because I made it for him. Love comes in all colors.
    "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

That is interesting - I have never thought of that before. I know you will figure it out, with or without his help. I think he will just be grateful to have a hand made quilt by you.
      Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

Why don't you ask his maybe wife. Your uncle will enjoy the fact that you made it for him and she will enjoy that it matches how she sees her decorating.
        success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
        Terry of NC

Comment

If worried about colour, another option is a whole quilt. The texture created is amazing.
          (a whole quilt is normally a heavy quilted one fabric quilt sandwich.)
          If worried about stitching on a large blank page/ fabric quilt sandwich
          bernartex does a pre stencilled marked fabric quilt top just sew on lines, and wash the lines out.
          normally find whatever you make will be loved because you made it.

Comment

What an interesting topic. I have never thought about quilting for the colorblind. Maybe using different fabric together such as stripes and solids or high contrast fabric designs with solids would add interest for him. Maybe using a panel of something he likes for the center with quilt blocks around it would be appealing to him. There are some beautiful panels out there.

Comment

It is interesting topic. At the fabric sale yesterday, I met quilter who's mom also quilts but is colorblind. She buys what she likes to put it together for herself, but gets other's opinion on how colors look together if for a gift.
              Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

Well we decided to kind of wimp out and go for just a blue and white quilt... we filtered through all the possible colorblindness and blue is blue or at least bluish regardless. Though next year with a bit more time to really consider all the different textures given by patterns in fabric over colors, I think we may make a second attempt. (And with confirmation on which colors hes blind to as well lol) even though every year they get something we still like to make them a surprise as much as possible. So going to do some recon. Would take more time this year except we fell a little behind and still have many more projects to finish for a Christmas on Thanksgiving my aunt is hosting for the bulk of family members up north.

Comment

• 201 Treadler
                  201 Treadler commented
                  Editing a comment
                  the recon🧐, will you pack binoculars, rope up side of building to look through windows or just go in through front door, ask to visit the water closet, while carefully noticing wall colours ect.
                  will you need a license to thrill.?
                  look forward to the update 😁

I think it's wonderful that you want to make your Uncle happy. I agree with your husband, just make a pretty quilt and he will love it.

I wanted to comment on your "almost" Aunt. My Dad and Step-mother were not married. She would have lost her late husbands pension if she married my Dad.
                Vonnie

Comment

Its actually not a monetary thing... my uncle is pretty awesome, loves to do the revolutionary War reenactments along with my "aunt" but they're also a little weirdly anti-establishment for having such a hobby that is literally about the creation of an establishment lol.

So its one of those they love each other and their families accept their love and commitment why do they need to be recognized by the government. For the both of them time just seemed to stop in the late 60's for them aside from the sciences of today. They're both also brilliant people. But hey at least their crazies match each other perfectly which is all any of us can hope for in a relationship married or not. I just would love to call her aunt but as she isn't married to my uncle she doesn't feel comfortable taking such a title and yet she still considers me as a niece lol. She has even caught herself a few times telling me about my "cousins" when speaking of her own nieces and nephews. She's just lovely 😍 but holds the title of "Aunt" in high regard.

Comment

There are lots of reasons to not marry for another time in later life, most of them have to do with inheritance but the one very valid reason people should is so they can make medical decisions for their partner. I have seen several examples of terrible problems when a significant other was told to stand down, helplessly, in a medical crisis. It was terribly sad.
                    Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

Working...
                    X