X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lola2Ace
    replied
    Re: Help new quilter seam question

Misty, I have a D9 in progress, I just have the borders to sew on. It was very hard to make that 1st cut, but I am so glad I did, it's that cute! I was working on them at the county fair, and the girl in the next booth was very concerned that I was going to cut my blocks after sewing them together, but she loved them when I got them cut.
    I made sure I pressed my 9 patch blocks very carefully, but nice and flat so I could get a good measurement for the 1/2 mark.
    Your girls will be so amazed at the beautiful quilt you are making. It's so cool how they turn out.
    I had some of the Giddy fabric in my cart, but had to downsize my purchase, so it's on my want list.
    I can't wait to see a picture of your quilt.
    Lola

Leave a comment:

• misty316
    replied

Thanks so much. I think thats what I did. It's looking right so far.

Now I have the 9patch sewn together. How do I find the center do you just eyeball it? That's what it looks like she did on the video. I guess your not suppose to eyeball anything in quilting. lol So is there an easy way to make sure my cut is in the middle?
    I am using the Giddy charm pack that was on the daily deal last week. It looks so great as a 9 patch. My girls can't believe I am gonna cut it. My 10yo said what if you mess it up. That's exactly what I was thinking, but I wasn't gonna say it. I already used the seam ripper and redone a whole row and one square.

Leave a comment:

• Lola2Ace
    replied

Hi Misty,
    When you are sewing your 1st row of 3 blocks together, press the seams all one direction, then the 2nd row in the opposite direction, the 3rd will be in the same direction as the 1st row. This way they will nest together and your seams will be in a nice line when you sew your 1st row to the 2nd and when you add on the 3rd row.
    When you get your 9 patch block sewn together and then cut it apart, they will be going all different directions, but that's the beauty of the D9, those seams won't need to nest together again.
    As you sew these blocks in rows, you will do the same thing, press your rows opposite directions so they will nest together.
    Lola

Leave a comment:

• misty316
    started a topic Help new quilter seam question

Help new quilter seam question

Ok, so I have watched where Jenny sews then irons to set the seam then opens the square to get the seam to lay flat. Now when using a charm pack. When I flip it over after sewing all these seams are not suppose to be laying in the exact same direction are they? I don't see how especially in this D9 since after sewing the 9 together I will be turning them all different ways.
Working...
X