quilt as you go??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quilt as you go??

How exactly does that work? do you actually piece batting backing quilt and bind in blocks and then attach these "completed" blocks to each other?
    I am a bitt of a newby to quilting (but 74 years old!) How does QAYG actually work? Are there videos?

I could never wrap my head around it either. But I saw a demo at a quilt show where an edge was left on the backing, about 1/2” all around, and after the block was quilted these edges were sewn together image.jpg image.jpg This was my experiment, and is only a table runner, but could be easily made bigger to make any size quilt.

Comment

Welcome from Texas!
      Leah Day has a good tutorial that explains how it goes. There are others out there on the web & different people do it differently. I used Leah Day's method & made a little sample place mat to see if I could do it & I really liked the process. Hope this helps you.
      https://leahday.com/blogs/machinequi...ou-go-tutorial

She also has 365 different free motion quilting motifs that you could use on your blocks if you wanted to practice FMQ on each one.

https://leahday.com/pages/quilting-design-gallery
      Texas

Comment

I only do the quilt as you go. But, I find that I can pretty much use any pattern to do so. You can do it with blocks, in sections, with sashing, without sashing, etc. there are so many good videos out there, and some books as well.

I saw a video where they just did the quilt as you go with just the front and the batting and then put on the backing..... I think that kind of defeats the purpose of quilting as you go, because then you would still have to quilt the backing to it all.

I do mine through the entire quilt sandwich, the front, batting and backing. Some I even do as a round about, if there is a medallion kind of design in the center, doing it first and then adding sections to it. Some I do with blocks, some in strips, and some in sections, it depends on the pattern. The same with using sashing or not using sashing.
        Being creative is accepting the flaws as perfection

Comment

Welcome to the forum from Canada's cold capital.

I haven't made any QAYG tops, but I think the ladies above have given you some great links and help to get you started.
          Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE SUGESTIONS!!!!!!
            I use an old sears kenmore (50 years old) so quilting anything of size is most difficult and Iam too stubborn to send to a longarm at leasr now I may change my mind as i makemore quilts wish i would have strterd quilting years ago! QAYG MAY BE A WAY FOR ME TO MAKE LARGER THAN PCNIC SIZE QUILTS.

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN.

Comment

Thank you for asking the question. I keep seeing this and wondering about it but have never tried it. Like Jean,I just can't get my head wrapped around it. Sounds like it would be more difficult than the regular way of making a quilt but since I haven't tried it , I won't knock it.
              success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
              Terry of NC

Comment

Pattern Poole are the best tutorials on YouTube to watch quilt as you go. An Australian mother and daughter who have a big following. I have learnt a lot from them. You won’t be disappointed.

Comment

Working...
                X