Starch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starch

Hi all. I am working on very small piece’s an have decided to use starch. What do you use and why. Thanks in advance for your answers. Also want to thank everyone who contributes to the Forums as I have learnt so much from your comments. Have a safe year.

I do the same as Katrina, Best Press or cans from the grocery store.

Comment

Most of the time, I use best press. You can use a coupon at Jo-anns for a nice a discount. I buy the big size and pour into the smaller spray bottles. There is also one that you can dilute to your preference or needs. I mix small amounts to keep it fresh and use it on yardage.

https://www.purex.com/shop-products/...liquid-starch/

I recently discovered this spray. The folds in yardage release right out. No waiting to iron the fabric either.

https://store.faultlessbrands.com/co...crafting-spray

I like a spray bottle over the can sprays.
      A bucket of sunshine from the East Coast FL!
      Like sands through the hour glass-sew are the days of our lives!

Comment

I use Best Press most of the time because I prefer a spray bottle over cans also.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

best Press here too.
          Annie
          "The Mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Comment

I use Best Press, but have also used Flatter (a Canadian product that I love). Recently acquired a fabric stiffener by Acorn, but haven't tried it yet. It comes with a misting spray bottle, which would be finer. I'll let you know what I think.
            Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

I use my own homemade concoction using water and vodka. I can mix small amounts and use it in a spray bottle. Two ounces of vodka mixed with 6 ounces of water. If I get too stressed in the sewing room, I can always drink it........Just Kidding.
              No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
              Aesop

Comment

• kiwi chic
                kiwi chic commented
                Editing a comment
                Funny my first laugh for the day.

I seldom use starch. But working with bias pieces I do. I make mine using water and
              cornstarch. I purchased a small spray bottle
              online from WalMart. It’s small easy to use.

Comment

• grammaterry
                grammaterry commented
                Editing a comment
                How do you mix it...the ratio of water to cornstarch? And what does it do for the bias pieces...keeep them from stretching? I am going to be sewing curve to curve . Sounds like a plan

I use Best Press or Faultless Spray Starch, no particular reason why.
              Karen
              Spring, TX

Comment

I use Best Press also. If I have a coupon at JoAnn's I buy it there but most of the time I buy the largest I can find from Amazon.
                Teresa
                Pelham, Alabama
                War Eagle!!!

Comment

I use to use Best Press but for applique I now use Terial Magic. My one thing I will tell you do NOT follow the directions on the bottle. Give your fabric a good spray but don't saturate it. Let it sit a minute or so then iron, it will get nice and stiff. Test it lightly the first time you use it if your fabric is not stiff enough you can spray it again. I pour small portions from the bottle into a spray bottle.
                  Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

Faultless starch is what I use. Niagra sprays in sort of a satellite ring pattern. I don't starch everything, just when I'm working with very small pieces.
                    Michele
                    ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~

Comment

I have used Fautless Max but it is hard if not impossible to find so when I ran out the last time I switched to the big blue bottle [sta flo?] and don't dilute it, just pour into a pump sprayer as is. I do spray on the back side, let it soak in if I have time then iron from the front. Works pretty well and improves my piecing.
                      Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

I use Best Press for a light starching but if I need to cut small pieces, I use grocery store starch to make the fabric nice and stiff. The one I find here is Easy On as I've never seen Faultless or Niagara spray starch in our local stores. Probably carried in the U.S. only?
                        Maria
                        From Sunny Alberta, Canada

Comment

I make my own. Dissolve a teaspoon or two of corn starch in 2 tablespoons of cool tap water. Add 1 cup boiling water and stir. Add 1 cup cold water and stir. Pour into spray bottle and shake before each use. This has no preservatives (that's a good thing) so it will last about a week. I have used this recipe for over twenty years with success. It literally costs pennies to make, works great and it doesn't harm you, your pets or the environment.
                          Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

Working...
                          X