Wedding Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wedding Quilt

Our niece and nephew, not to each other, are getting married this year. I was thinking of taking squares and have their guest write on them and turn them into a quilt. Has anyone done this before and if so any and all suggestions accepted. Such as type of pen, how to maybe waterproof it so if they wash it it does not run, suggested size of squares and anything else. Her theme is in bright colors so should I make each square a pastel color-just you thoughts or opinions would be great. Thank you

I've seen a lot of posts about such a quilt & remember seeing lots of good advice. The only one that really stood out to me was something like putting an edge of some sort around the blocks so the people writing would not write all the way to the edges of the blocks. You will need to allow for seams & non quilters do not understand that concept. They think they can take up the whole space of the block. Others will come around with great suggestions.
    Texas

Comment

• jjkaiser
      jjkaiser
      jjkaiser commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yes! Great idea!! Maybe make some kind of edge and put doubled up blue painters tape on the back to keep it from slipping.

• nativetexan
      nativetexan
      nativetexan commented
      Editing a comment
      Pigma Micron pens I"ve used for ever in signature quilt swaps around the world. Still in good shape.
      i always press them just to be safe. .05 size is good. skinnier tends to make the fabric move too much.
      I would use a wash out marker around the edges just outside your seam allowances. Some people do not listen! good luck and have fun!

Love that you said n/n getting married but not to each other. So funny!! I have not done this but I think there is a thing called a pigma pen that has a narrow writing tip and is permanent, something people use for quilt labels. You might Google pens for quilt labels and see what comes up. It is a wonderful idea!

Comment

Hello Claudiaj I have not made a wedding quilt but if two of Communion for two of my granddaughters and I show you both so that you can see them, the first were small squares and without borders so I finaly grouped them in four and put them one edge and the second were squares with edges. As for the pens and the paints that I used for the children to paint they were special for fabric and I took them, someone else will give you more information, I hope the photos will clarify any of your doubts Colcha Firmas - JOANE.jpg Colcha Firmas--JOANE.jpg IMG_5057.jpg

Comment

I made this one with circles. for one of our staff members that's a quilter. Each staff member took a block, and did what they wanted on it. I thought I'd never get them all back! But it was well loved.
      Katrina
      From NC, retired in FL
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

I have never made a signature quilt but I would definitely use a Pigma pen for the signatures. My favourite quilt that I've seen was one that Jenny did a tutorial on earlier this year.

I believe this is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnkcelFopXs
      Maria
      Alberta, Canada

Comment

005.jpg different one here
        this is a siggy quilt with just a strip to sign. that might work well for you. gave to kids in Newton,CT.jpg

Comment

Claudiaj I made a wedding quilt for my son and daughter-in-law. The guests used Pigma pens to sign the 5" squares. My son took a stiff cardboard 5" square and cut out the middle leaving a 1/2" border; think picture frame. He then taped along the top a solid 5" cardboard to the back so the guests flipped the top up, inserted the material, flipped the top down and wrote their message. We had instructions on the table and an example on what to do and no one seemed to have a problem. Good luck and congratulations on your upcoming family weddings!
          Donna

Comment

You could also iron freezer paper onto the fabric blocks. Use the freezer paper template to cover areas where you don't want writing. A square in a square or a circle in a square could be fun.
            A bucket of sunshine from the East Coast FL!
            Like sands through the hour glass-sew are the days of our lives!

Comment

Working...
            X