Adding borders after quilting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding borders after quilting

Good morning! I was asked by a friend if I could add borders to a quilt she inherited that had already been quilted (it doesn't have binding on it). the backing and batting are thankfully not cut to the size of the quilt but overhang by about 2 inches on all sides. I have never tried to add borders after quilting, so is this possible and if so, how?
    Thanks so much for any help or advice you can offer.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Yes, it is possible. You could put them on ala QAYG. I believe Marti Michell had a Craftsy class on it.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

Comment

Oh yes, anything you can find on Quilt As You Go will work. quilts can be done this way, quilting as you go block by block, so even the whole quilt can be added to in this method. tutorials will be best rather than someone trying to tell you what to do but maybe someone on here can actually do it in steps you can "get".
      have fun and yes, you can do this.

Comment

I would think with only two inches overhang you will need to add at least six more inches of batting plus backing. The backing will end up looking like it has a border around the edge unless you have more of that fabric. It is doable but pretty fiddly. I hate projects like that! If it was me I would set aside the whole thing until after Christmas. Not something I would want to tackle in the midst of all the holiday chaos. Good luck.
        Sharon Pederson - Lesson 12 - Adding Borders to an
        https://thequiltshow.com/learn/category/beginner...
        Last edited by jjkaiser; November 21, 2021, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• KarenC
          KarenC commented
          Editing a comment
          How smart of you to find a tutorial on this very subject!

• Granny Fran
          Granny Fran commented
          Editing a comment
          Excellent and brief tutorial on how to handle this situation. Thanks

I think it depends on how much of a perfectionist you are. Since the backing is overhanging you could add a wide strip of it or a matching fabric all around to the backing. Then put the border on the quilt, same way and then lay a strip of batting inbetween and pin baste it in place. Now you can finish quilting. It won't be perfect but it will work.
        success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
        Terry of NC

Comment

• KarenC
          KarenC commented
          Editing a comment
          This would be my approach. As you say, it may depend on how much of a perfectionist one is, but this process would work for me.

• Ruthie734
          Ruthie734 commented
          Editing a comment
          This would be my approach to the problem too.

I watched Sharon's video and that is how I've done it. So go for it.

Comment

I use wash away seam tape to hold the two pieces batting together. You can also zig-zag them.

Here is a tutorial showing a method. Go to about 12:53 in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFDHya4Evvk

I like that the batting is cut out of the seam allowance. You could also use fusible batting. Adjust the cut width by the seam allowance to avoid bulk in the seams. Good luck!
          A bucket of sunshine from the East Coast FL!
          Like sands through the hour glass-sew are the days of our lives!

Comment

Funny, I was just wondering the same thing last week. Thank you for posting this question!
            https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
            Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Working...
            X