No announcement yet.

What should I do with my wedding dress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What should I do with my wedding dress?

Originally posted by kensington View Post
    I plan to make mine into a Christening gown to gift to my grandaughter one day for her children.
    That was my original plan. Then the week before the wedding MIL showed up with the original christening dress that DH wore, crocheted by her late mother (who NEVER crocheted anything in her life!) and there was no way I could say no to that

Originally posted by GuitarGramma View Post
    How about a chiffon tablecloth for one of those little round display tables? You could then display your wedding album on it.
    That could work!! I have one of those little round tables too and a little yellow cloth over it that I could use for a pattern. Now you've got the wheels spinning... lol Thanks!! It would make a great table to display our sand ceremony set, wine box, and cake topper that I'm currently keeping in my sewing room.
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World

Comment

The tablecloth idea is a great one! When you make your decision and get it made please let us see what you came up with. It's such a problem knowing what to do. Like so many others, mine is laying in a wedding dress box with my great-great grandfather's christening gown and my daughter's first communion dresses!
      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I could never cut up my wedding dress. I have had it in my cedar chest for 44 years, and its not going anywhere. In the old days, like early 1900s, the veil would be put in a large shadow box surrounding their wedding picture, and that would hang in their home. I wonder who got that after my grandparents died. I don't know.
        Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

The dress is very pretty in the picture you can't tell there was ever a problem.
          suggestion #1, use it to make a cover for a bassinet. I have seen a beautiful dress used this way and it was stunning.
          suggestion #2, make a baby quilt from it if it is made of poly. You could use the chiffon as an overlay on some other fabrics so you could just barely see them through it. Someone in my quilt guild did this recently, she embroidered multi colored dragons on the poly satin squares and it looked great and could be used for a boy or girl.

Comment

You could also cover picture albums for your children with it. After all that day began your life as husband and wife. So many pretty ways to decorate a plain album. Or picture frames. or make a wall hanging also using the embroidery as a focal point maybe with your names above it. (maybe leave room to add the children and use this for a family tree???)

Proverbs 17:22

22 A happy heart is good medicine,
            but low spirits sap one’s strength.

May God richly bless you daily..
            Kay

Comment

From a fellow Canuck, you can make window blinds or a pretty table runner adding just a bit of color
              that will match the fabric.
              Simone a.k.a Ellimay

sigpic Sewing is cheaper than therapy

Comment

I would find a pattern for a beautiful, very fancy and lovely Christmas angel. You could make one just for yourself and continue to wonder what to do with the rest of the fabric, or you could make a few of them and give them as Christmas gifts. They would be so special and treasured forever. Can you imagine how thrilled you would be to have a Christmas angel made out of your mother's or grandmother's wedding dress? I'd be over the moon about it. Well, that's my maybe-it's-crazy suggestion.
                Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

Oooooo.... I have no idea what to do with it but it sure is beautiful!! Looks like a bunch of other pretty dresses behind it too I'm absolutely no help though just browsing through your closet
                  Finished is way better than perfect! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

My very first thought when I say the embroidery, was to make pillow cases. That way you could save the integrity of the embroidery, because the edges would be sewn into the seams, and they would probably be very nice to sleep on.
                    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                    sigpic

Comment

Will all your future children wear the crocheted one ?
                      I would still go with a Christening dress or romper, to pass on to any other children you may have. While you are fortunate enough have an heirloom waiting to be used, it would be nice to have a garment from this.
                      another possibility is to make a slip to go under the crocheted gown and of course a bonnet. You could also make ring bearer's pillows for your children to have for their own weddings. If you didn't stuff them now it would be easy to store them until needed
                      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I knew I'd get some great ideas here!! You ladies rock!!

Rebecca: I will most certainly share whatever I make It will be a month or so before I get to this as I'm finishing a quilt for GMIL (grandmother-in-law) and that is top on my priority list right now and eats up all of my sewing time. But once that's done, I will be off to this project!

Joyce: I never thought about what I was going to do with my veil, I love the shadow box idea! Thank you!

Claire: Thank you It is a pretty dress, just an odd shape so it didn't ever really fit properly. I've thought about the bassinet cover and haven't completely ruled it out, but I'm wondering if I'll ever actually use a bassinet or just move straight to a crib. I never thought about the chiffon as an overlay, that would work really well with some nice, bright fabrics I bet!

Kay: I didn't think about picture albums!! I do have one photo book, but the cover actually has a photo on it. But I will be making my own photo album or scrapbook at some point, so that would be awesome to cover it with pieces of my wedding dress! Maybe even use a snippet of that embroidery to embellish the cover as well. Love it! I like the wall hanging idea as well, I may have to think on that one a little more. I also have some fabric squares that people signed in lieu of a guestbook, so maybe I could incorporate pieces with that and make a wall hanging

Ellimay: A table runner would be pretty, not sure about leaving the fabric in the sun for blinds though. UV rays can be pretty hard on fabric. But I do like the table runner idea!

Cyndi: Now there's an idea!! How gorgeous would that be? And I have some blonde doll's hair that I've been wondering where I could use it too. I could make one for myself and one for each Mom and all three would eventually be inherited by children/grandchildren. How cute would that be? I could even make them to almost look like mini versions of my dress, minus the fabulous embroidery of course. Love it!

Jess: I WISH that was my closet! lol That's from the workshop in China where it was made. Gorgeous dresses though

Marilyn: I've thought about pillows too just for the embroidery aspect. Maybe just make a little one and it could be used as a ring-bearer pillow in the future if I have a daughter or maybe daughter-in-law (and weddings haven't gone completely nuts in 25+ years time lol) I'd be nervous about making pillows I would use though because any white pillowcases that come in this house are yellow in a week from DH lol Boy sweats like there's no tomorrow! But decorative pillows would be great! Maybe even a couple of little decorative pillows for our bed. I like it!

bakermom: I'm thinking all children will probably wear the same dress. Also, I think my mom has my Christening dress as well, so if we had two children one would get their father's dress and one would get mine (provided my Mom still has it). I am thinking the slip will be a good idea as wool can sometimes be scratchy, especially with soft baby skin, and possibly a bonnet. I'm wondering if a silky bonnet would look okay or if a crocheted one would match better. Something I will decide as I go I guess And I may very well make a little ring bearer's pillow or two, and not stuffing it is a great idea! Maybe install a little invisible zipper so it can be stuffed easily down the road.

I have gotten SO many ideas, you all are awesome!! I will be using MANY ideas as you all truly have NO idea how huge this dress is lol We are talking meters and meters and meters of material. I think I could hide a small army under there if I had to lol I am 5'9" and wore 6" heels with this dress, so it's very LONG, plus I'm a big girl so it's very WIDE, and it had a super long train, even after my seamstress hemmed it. So I will be able to make many things from this one dress. Super excited to rip all the seams in this baby and see how much I truly have to work with

Thanks again ladies, you rock!!
                        *Dee*
                        Believe
                        There Is
                        Good In The World

Comment

What about a Christmas tree skirt or you could even make a bed runner for your bed. It is a beautiful dress.
                          Debbie

And Sew on And Sew on

Comment

Originally posted by Biglucyfan View Post
                            What about a Christmas tree skirt or you could even make a bed runner for your bed. It is a beautiful dress.
                            I thought about the tree skirt, and hubby liked the idea because it would look like snow, but since underneath the Christmas tree becomes my cats' bed for the whole month it's up, no lol WAY too many chances that it'll get ruined. Same goes for the bed runner as my bed is their bed the other 11 months of the year lol I love those ideas though and highly recommend it for anyone without cats, or at least without MY cats lol
                            *Dee*
                            Believe
                            There Is
                            Good In The World

Comment

I know it was your wedding dress, but it doesn't sound like you're all that "emotionally" tied to the dress itself. After many years of doing nothing, I finally donated mine to GoodWill. I'm sure some young lady had a beautiful day wearing it. Also, in many metropolitan areas, there are agencies that collect used Prom dresses -- they might be interested too.

Quilter's Rules:
                              #1 Buy fabric - no matter how much you already have.
                              #2 Sew all day and all night - no cooking allowed.
                              #3 Start a new quilt before the last one is finished - must return to #1.

Comment

I am not sure about the fabrics..not to versed in those so not sure, but how about christening dresses for your own children...if you intend to have any. Or for your grand children? If the dress is not that much you want to remember...make a beach/pool cover up.

I have mine still..daughter was a size bigger than me when she got married so she couldn't wear it. But it is in a plastic bag thing...bit tanished and I always think to do something with it..but I dont. My 7yo grand daughter put it on a couple months ago..she was a little chunky at the time, but she is growing and loosing now, but it would only zip up to just above the waist on her waist! I don't remember being that thin...never thought I was, but I guess I was....36 years ago! I keep thinking I want to do something with it to..make a quilt or something, but I just dont' know about working with that kind of fabric, and think if I ruin it...maybe one of the girls would want it and there i have gone and ruined it! So..there it still is!
                                Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                                X