To do or not to do.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To do or not to do.

When peicing a-lot of blocks say bento box type blocks do you cut strips to size or just lay-on strips then cut apart when finished. I have always cut to size but wondering if thats necessary. Thanks for your input.

I've done it both ways . Just depends on what you feel like doing
    success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
    Terry of NC

Comment

I like to cut but if you are using scraps, anything goes. As said, what you feel like doing. No rules on this one.

Comment

I prefer to cut them to size first. Reduces the risk of wonkiness.

Comment

Originally posted by MSN View Post
          I prefer to cut them to size first. Reduces the risk of wonkiness.
          How does it reduce it?
          Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

• MSN
            MSN commented
            Editing a comment
            Let's say you sew together two 2.5" squares. You should have a rectangle that measures 2.5" x 4.5". But maybe you stretched it a little bit as you were pressing it, or perhaps your 1/4" seam was a bit off. Now you are going to stitch a rectangle to one side of this unit. If you have cut the rectangle to be 4.5" long, you will correct the wonkiness of the first unit by stretching or easing it a little to match the rectangle. If you just lay on a strip, stitch it, and trim off the end to whatever length it ends up being, it might be too long or too short. If you keep adding to the block in the same way, your little inaccuracies become magnified.

• sydneybean
            sydneybean commented
            Editing a comment
            yes, it is the same principal as measuring for your borders. If you just lay a piece on the side and don't measure you can have one side longer than the other.

• Hillbillyhike
            Hillbillyhike commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks ladies! That makes total sense. I have been just adding strips and trimming, thinking it would be more accurate. I will cut all my pieces first from now on.

Hillbillyhike thanks for asking your question about how it reduced. I will keep cutting before sewing after having it explained so well by MSN.

Comment

When I made my log cabin blocks, I cut all the strips ahead of time & had them laid out in the correct order for piecing. Much more accurate to cut the strips ahead. Be sure to square up your blocks as you go in case you need to adjust your 1/4" seam. Most of the time, I piece with a scant 1/4" seam so the block comes out the right dimension.

Comment

Always cut to size. If you don’t your blocks won’t be square because you may stretch
              the block/strip as you sew.
              And always square the block every time you
              add a round of strips. It’s very easy to get
              off just the littlest bit. If you don’t square until the block is finished you maybe off too much
              to use the block. Squaring would make the last strip smaller than it should be.

Comment

I've had read that some make the outer strips wider. That way IF you need to square your blocks later you have enough wiggle room.
                So. Illinois just south of St Louis County

Comment

Working...
                X