Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie here - no idea how to quilt this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wanted to say hi from another Canadian. I live in Quebec. We were in BC last summer for our vacation, hoping to get back there this year if COVID lets us.

I also hand quilt so I'm not much help either.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• lily_99654
      lily_99654 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Monique!

Lily, welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I can be no help as my wife does the quilting. I just piece. I love your quilt, however.

Rob
    If you like a fabric, buy a yard. If you LOVE a fabric, buy three!
    Anna Bates
    "Quilt Roadies"

Comment

Beautiful quilt, welcome from Wisconsin!!!

Comment

image_123890.jpg
        Love your quilt! I did a very rudimentary sketch, drawing with my finger, but you should be able to get the idea. I started at the bottom center of the orange geese, did a gentle curve to the left, then up to the top, again curving to the left, and up to the top. Continue until you reach the top of the group then then curve to the bottom right, then to the middle and continue down that group until you are back to your starting point. In the solid area I would just do back and forth lines. I sketched matchstick line but you could do wavy lines or use your walking foot. Good luck.

Comment

• lily_99654
          lily_99654 commented
          Editing a comment
          I very much appreciate you taking the time to do this. I have been drawing on my "screen quilt" as well. ( Bought a cheap stylus at staples.) I like the simplicity of your design, because I need to start simple. Thanks for helping me through my "quilter's bock".

• quiltingaway
          quiltingaway commented
          Editing a comment
          I need to get a stylus! That would help. I see you are going to do a quilting class with string and story. One of my friends is also doing that. Angela Walters is also doing a quilt along currently. If you search her on youtube you should find all of her challenges.

• chelea
          chelea commented
          Editing a comment
          That's exactly what I had in mind! I would do the straight lines a little closer.

Welcome from Texas. Your quilt top is beautiful. I'm sure you will come across something that is *just right* for your quilting.
        Don't know if you've ever heard of Leah Day but she has tons of videos on how to free motion quilt that might help you. Be careful as her site can be addicting & you can wind up spending hours just looking & learning. 😁

https://leahday.com/pages/quilting-d...536ced6a&_ss=r

Comment

• lily_99654
          lily_99654 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you! I happen to have her book from the library! But just went and checked out some of the videos on her website. This is very very helpful. P.S. I was born in Houston.

Hi everyone, thank you so much for welcoming and for the great tips and suggestions. Thanks to you, I am working through my "quilter's block". I have a tentative plan now. Also registered for a one week Quilting Plan Challenge (String & Story) that starts today! I'll be back to share my quilt, and possibly to ask more questions. Thanks again! Lily

Comment

• quiltingaway
          quiltingaway commented
          Editing a comment
          Be sure and share your finished quilt.

Late to the welcome wagon! Hello from Minnesota and welcome. Your quilt is beautiful. I would love to see it when you have it quilted. I am also pretty new to machine quilting, I haven’t done much meandering. Mainly just stitch in the ditch or 1/4 inch.
        Carlie

Comment

Welcome from Kentucky, Lily. I love your quilt! I would suggest Angela Walters books and videos if you are into free motion quilting. There is a book called Walk by Jacque Gerring that has some great ideas for walking foot quilting. I do edge to edge quilting designs using Groovy Boards on my Simply Sixteen.

Comment

Thanks for telling about the String & Story Quilting Plan Challenge. I just signed up for that. I think I will learn a lot from it.
            Here's the link if anyone is interested.

https://www.stringandstory.com/quiltingplanchallenge

Comment

Welcome to the forum from Canada's capital. Beautiful quilt.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Beautiful quilt! Another warm welcome from FL!

Comment

Welcome from stormy South Carolina! That's a beautiful quilt!

Comment

Working...
                  X