Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie here - no idea how to quilt this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie here - no idea how to quilt this!

Hello. I am new to quilting. This pic is my second ever quilt top. The first was basic squares with 1/4" quilting. Then I moved on to this pattern but I am stumped as to how to quilt it. Simple stitch in the ditch wont give enough coverage. I have been practicing free motion quilting and I love it, but I get overwhelmed and sort of paralyzed when I look at this quilt. I would love to hear from experienced quilter as to how you would quilt this top. If I can get some ideas from pros, it would really help me make a decision. Maybe a mix of straight lines and some free motion? Wavy or straight vertical lines with a different pattern in the big squares? Thanks in advance, Lily 🤔

Hi, Lily ~ Welcome to the Forum from Colorado. No pic is showing.

Comment

• lily_99654
      lily_99654 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. My sister lives in Grand Junction.

Welcome to the forum. You picture didn’t post...try again.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Trying again.
      20210426_144517.jpg

Comment

Hi Lily, welcome from sunny Florida. It's a beautiful quilt!
        Katrina
        “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• lily_99654
          lily_99654 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you! I love Florida!

that is lovely!! straight lines would be my guess but hopefully someone better will come in with more ideas! great photo.

Comment

• lily_99654
          lily_99654 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you!

Hello Lily and welcome to the forum! I hand quilt, so I’m so help…..just wanted to pop in and say welcome 🧵
        💫 Anita......Star lover❣️

Comment

• lily_99654
          lily_99654 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you, Anita!

Lily it's beautiful. The geometric design of this quilt is calling for some movement and since you are enjoying free motion quilting, I would suggest stitch in the ditch around the geese, and then do some simple meandering in all the background fabric: think clouds or wind currents. But no matter what you do, it's going to be fantastic.

Comment

• lily_99654
          lily_99654 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you so much. I really like this idea.

I quilt via check (long arm service) so no advice. Great quilt.

Comment

• lily_99654
          lily_99654 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you!

Lily, that is a fantastic quilt! Your points are perfect. I agree that something curvy will soften the angularity. Google quilting designs for flying geese and see if you find anything you like and that you might want to tackle. You are brave. I keep making quilt tops and getting stuck at the quilting phase. Welcome to the Forum!

Comment

It's beautiful!

Comment

Hi Lily, welcome to the Forum. Your quilt is beautiful! I'm not comfortable with free-motion so I quilt with my walking foot. If it were mine, I would think about texture, like maybe very close straight lines (matchstick) in the navy background, to make it recede and then do something more decorative and less dense in the geese so they will be more prominent. Just my 2 cents worth.
            Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

• lily_99654
              lily_99654 commented
              Editing a comment
              Your suggestions are helpful because I haven't ruled out quilting with my walking foot. Thank you!

Hi and welcome to the forum. Your quilt is beautiful! Can’t wait to see how you quilt it.
            "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
            Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Lily ~ Have you tried any free motion quilting yet? There are many books as well as tutorials on YouTube on how to do it. All those open space blocks are great areas for filling with FMQ. There also are ideas on the web about how to use your walking foot more effectively for quilting -- designs that would be more decorative than just straight lines. Try some searches. I like your quilt -- very colorful.

Comment

I really like your quilt! I send my quilts out for quilting so I’m little help. If you get BLOCK magazine, the current issue has several pages devoted to quilting with a walking foot. It goes beyond the basics. I’m referring to the newest issue that was just sent out.
                sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Working...
                X