resize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

resize

I want to make a quilt that has 36 blocks. The total size of the quilt with 2 or 3 boarders is 44x44 which is kind of small. Since I would like to double the size of the quilt-72 blocks-would you just double the amount of required material. IE-white 1 3/4 yards so increase to 3 1/2 yrds, green-5/8 yds so increase to 1 1/4 yrds. I am having a terrible time trying to figure this out. This is an accuquilt patter and is does not tell you the actual size of the finished block-crazy. Thank you.

Originally posted by Claudiaj View Post
    I want to make a quilt that has 36 blocks. The total size of the quilt with 2 or 3 boarders is 44x44 which is kind of small. Since I would like to double the size of the quilt-72 blocks-would you just double the amount of required material. IE-white 1 3/4 yards so increase to 3 1/2 yrds, green-5/8 yds so increase to 1 1/4 yrds. I am having a terrible time trying to figure this out. This is an accuquilt patter and is does not tell you the actual size of the finished block-crazy. Thank you.
    I would measure the block after you make one. That would help you decide if you want to double the size or maybe only one and half as big size.

Please remember you are gonna have to increase the amount of yardage for any borders you are putting on, your batting, and your backing. I think I am pretty certain of my answer but you might want to wait for others to chime in. Only the smarter ones though. TIC. Good luck hope it turns out wonderful.

I just say about the borders and backing because sometimes the fabric you are using might be discontinued I've had that happen to me before and I am not very creative nor do I have a great eye for coordinating colors etc.

Comment

that is just weird that they only give the quilt size, not blocks too. just figure out how many block across and pick a size. see if that fits with the pattern size. if not, choose different size and figure it again. you can do it!

Comment

If you "double" the size of the quilt, making it 88 x 88, remember that you are doubling it in 2 directions. You will need 4 times as much fabric if this is your plan.
        Lyn in Florida

If I ever got it all together, I'd be too tired to do anything with it.
        🙄

Comment

• Vonnie
          Vonnie commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree, but after figuring that out, add extra! I have been know to cut wrong and run out of fabric and the store would no longer have that fabric! So, may figure 5 times to cover messups. If it was me, though, I would want to make extra rows so the quilt would be a rectangle and not a square. I also like a large drop on both sides and bottom. Maybe you better go with graph paper! Or EQ. And I no longer ask Accuquilt for help. I wanted to know how much fabric for a king size quilt and they gave me for a block, not the quilt. and it's one of those deals where I had to sit down with graph paper and figure it out myself. Bummer.

The original is 6 x 6, for a total of 36 blocks. If doubling the number of blocks to 72, what will be your layout of those blocks? 9 x 8? 6 x 12?

I agree with WindingRoad that if you simply double the number of blocks, you will need twice as much fabric of the fabrics in the blocks. You will have to recalculate the fabric requirements for the borders and backing once you determine the size with the 72 blocks sewn together.

Comment

I like to draw a graph and label the dimensions to figure out things like this.

Comment

This might be a dumb answer. I do not have that software so not sure how it works but are you sure you don't have to go to a menu or another page to see the block sizes? Those computer programs aren't cheap and you would think a basic thing like measurements would be included in the pattern. As for the math, my specialty is wrong answers so I won't go there. Hope you can figure it out.

Comment

I found this on the web. I tried to digest it but it is over my head. Just something to look at, idk if it would help. https://quiltshopgal2.wordpress.com/...torial-part-7/

Comment

Claudia,

Can you post a link to the AQ quilt pattern? What is the finished block size?

You can probably go from a 6 inch block to a 12 inch block using the die system. Are you using qubes or individual dies? It is fairly easy to transfer to a different size. Hopefully, it is not a BOB die for the quilt pattern.

If you post the additional information, I can check the charts in my notebook and try to help you with calculations and cutting.
                Last edited by Rhonda K; April 12, 2021, 08:35 PM.
                A bucket of sunshine from the East Coast FL!
                Like sands through the hour glass-sew are the days of our lives!

Comment

if this is the block die the block sewn is 10" finished according to here https://www.quiltdirect.co.uk/acatal...20group%20%231

Comment

Working...
                  X