Washable or erasable quilt pens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washable or erasable quilt pens?

Wondering if anyone has a suggestion on which they prefer, water soluble fabric markers/pens or heat erasable fabric pens? Or any other suggestions? Also any suggestions on favourite brand, type etc I would greatly appreciate. I’ve been using fabric pencils and am getting tired of them. They don’t mark well and make super thick lines. I use for tracing patterns and marking during my quilting. Thanks for the help everyone ahead of time

Welcome from BC, Canada!!

I use heat erasable pens like these...

Screenshot_20201231-235301_Chrome.jpg I just got some of these Frixion pens for Christmas but haven't tried them yet...

Screenshot_20201231-235403_Chrome.jpg
    Attached Files
    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

I'm sure most know that using the "Heat Pens" there's a caution, # 1 after using them, if the fabric / quilt gets cold, the lines reappear! also if you test these on a scrap of white, look closely and you can still the mark. If you put that scrap in the fridge / freezer you see it magically appear. I've used water color pencils, they easily come out I just keep a sharpener close by to keep the point sharp.
      Kathryn
      There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        Really? I've never noticed. Not with the top ones I've been using. I'll have to look more closely. Thanks! Like Imsaid I haven't tried the frixion pens yet. I used to use a water soluble one for years. I like the heat better.

I have been using the Crayola Ultra-washable markers for several years, and they have always washed out for me in cold water, even being ironed over and setting for several months. Even high humidity will sometimes remove the marks. For dark fabric I use the Clover white pen. Yes, you have to wait a minute for the lines to dry so you can see them, but they remove easily too.
      TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

https://sewingfromatoz.com/product/l...ns-blue-78008/

I bought these pens on Amazon but it looks like they may no longer be available there at a reasonable price. I love these! It only takes a couple drops of water to remove the marks and I've not had any marks reappear.
        ~ Carol from PA

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
          Hillbillyhike commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Carol! I will look for these.

I use the crayola washable markers. Was hesitant to try them but auntstuff told me she can leave marks on a quilt for months, they don't fade and they wash out even if ironed over first. She's right! They work great and ALWAYS wash out! For darks I use the General's white chalk pencil from FQS. I have frixion pens but they do ghost so now I only use them to write out labels, which I embroider over then erase with the iron and they work great for that. I have a Pounce pad on order which I have never used before, to try on some stencils. It is the brush off not the iron off kind (there's two types made by same company).

Comment

• auntstuff
          auntstuff commented
          Editing a comment
          I just use the washable markers, fine point, with my stencils. Rinses off the stencils too.

• jjkaiser
          jjkaiser commented
          Editing a comment
          I only got the pounce to use on a 100 year old quilt top. Was a little afraid of using those markers on such vintage fabric. You just never know and I didn't want to find out the hard way.

I use water soluble...I can’t remember the name but Natalie Bonner recommended and she’s sells them on her website Piece and Quilt.
        "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

those that water removes means NEVER wash with detergent to get rid of marks. one reason they say wipe marks or spray them. they do go away easily but always test fabrics too first.

Comment

I would never use the Frixxion pens for quilts. Even the manufacturer has said they're not designed for using on and removing from fabric, and I have a couple of friends who have used them and lived to regret it.

On the other hand, I have several quilting friends who use the crayola washable markers, which ARE designed to come out of fabric, and they've been very happy with the results. The quilts I've used markers on were dark or black, so I used slivers of soap, which of course wash out nicely.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              Great idea. I've heard of that for clothes making.

I like the Sewline air erase pen but only for things that you will be working on quickly as it disappears pretty fast. I live in a dry climate so that may be the reason it doesn't last long. I use the Frixion pens for areas that you will never see (but I have never had any marks come back - then again, I don't store any of my projects in the freezer !) I usually wash my quilts with detergent in a normal wash cycle then dry in a low heat cycle. I seem to remember reading that the detergent breaks the inks in the Frixion pens down so they get washed away..... Then again, I have been known to mis-remember things......
            Lastly, I also use the Crayola washable markers and, so far, all have washed out except the green one. Fortunately it wasn't very visible.
            Maria

Comment

Thanks for all the great suggestions. When I was looking on Amazon I found a lot of reviews mentioned the same as you all have about the heat pens that when cold the lines show up again. This is one of the reasons I wanted extra opinions, so thank you.

Comment

When I use the Frixion pens I get "ghost" marks. It is like they bleach the fabric and leave a white mark that is permanent. Has happened many times--not just on occasion. My son has the same problem. I will use them on the back of the fabric or where the marks won't show, but not on the front. I normally use white chalk when I can. I do like the Frixion pens for normal use on paper though.

Retha

Comment

Working...
                X