Best type of Batting for WallHangings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best type of Batting for WallHangings

I am making wallhangings using fabric panels. I like to have definitive dimension in my quilting. I do not do an all over quilt pattern, I simply outline stitch around most things in the fabric panel picture.. .if that makes sense.
    I have read that 1/3"-/2" loft works well for definition. I'm confused which batting is best content wise.... 80/20, Cotton, Wool??? Please help!

Thank you sew much!
    Sheriann

Hobbs 80/20 would give more definition than something like Warm and Natural since it is softer. A polyester batting has higher loft and would give you even more
    K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

I like Quilter’s dream 80/20 when I want the loft. You could always just double layer any batting and get the same effect. One of my favorite LA’er does QD 80/20 and a layer of QD wool when she wants her quilting to pop.. I do a lot of applique and I will typically do trapunto (double layer under just applique) when I want my applique to pop..
      "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I use Hobbs 80/20 for everything.

Comment

I use warm and natural. I've doubled it if I want something to pop. It's personal preference.

Comment

I am using two layers of batting for wall hangings. Normally one layer cotton with a layer wool on top or two layers of wool batting. It gives grate dimension and makes the wall hanging sturdy
            Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

Comment

• Judy, USMC
              Judy, USMC commented
              Editing a comment
              I also use a layer of wool for a dimensional wall hanging. 2 layers deepens the dimension. I won't include the wool if I know it will be washed. Too risky that it will shrink if not handled with great care.

That's exactly what I do stitch the outlines , so I know what you are saying and doing. I find it adds awesome dimension to the print.

Comment

I never had any issues with shrinking wile I am using wool batting. Occasionally I even prewashed my wool batting especially when I prewashed or prestarched my fabrics. I don’t like my quilts being crinkled to much. I washed the batting in the wool program of my washing machine, it came out perfectly every single time. My favorite batting is Hobbs Tuscany 100%wool it has its price but it is totally worth it
              Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

Comment

I think if you want definition and sturdiness to your wall hanging, I have done some with a layer of Bosal foam on the back and 100% wool batting on the front. It pouffs out the area you haven't quilted. I have also used 2 /3 layers of Thermore and also a polyester fleece interfacing for Advent calendars. It gives them body.
                Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

Working...
                X