Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What color thread do you use in a scrappy quilt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What color thread do you use in a scrappy quilt?

I’m going to machine/free motion quilt this table runner. When you have a quilt with so many colors, how do you pick a thread color for the top quilting? They are 2” squares. The back and border will be black. I noticed that the rows were not straight after I took the pic but fixed it later. I’m just learning to ruler quilt so there will probably be lots of stitches! Would I use a 90/14 needle?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

I would use tan on top and black in the bobbin. Great table runner!!

I'm only picky with needles when I use my long arm...then I use different.

Comment

I agree; however, be sure to test your tension. .I have had the black thread come through the top when I use a lighter thread top and black thread bottom. I love your runner...
      "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

How about a variegated thread on the top?
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Yes, I would use a 90-14 Top-Stitch needle. Most of the fabrics are darker colors. My initial idea is to use brown. It would blend in on the backing as well. You should be able to use the same thread color on the top & in the bobbin.

Comment

I would use a beige or a tan so that the pretty beige star is not lost in the quilting. I love how it stands out among all the other colors. I'd use the same color in the bobbin, both to avoid tension-caused issues and to let the quilting show on the back.
            ~ Carol from PA

Comment

I would squint my eyes or take off my glasses and figure out what color is the most prominent. Your needle size should relate to your thread, for fmq I would use something at least a 14 and perhaps up to a 18 depending on test results on a scrap or waste fabric.

Comment

My go-to color is a taupe color or a khaki color. I find that they blend well with many of the fabrics I use.

Comment

I will second the brown. If you try to use a lighter thread on top and a black thread in the bobbin, you will have to have perfect tension to keep one or the other thread from showing on the other side.
                  Lyn

If I ever got it all together, I'd be too tired to do anything with it.
                  🙄

Comment

I have a gold color that works well with those fabric colors. For the back, it depends on how well you want the quilting to show up.

Comment

Working...
                    X