Border Help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Border Help please

Afternoon all. I need some help with the border on this quilt top. I purchased this as a kit, and the border fabric was included. I love the fabric. However, I’m not convinced it makes a good border for this quilt. This was a refreshed kit, so the fabric line is about 3 years old. Obtaining more fabric from the line is not probable.

Per the pattern, the border is cut WOF, 5” strip. ​ ​​I’m not sure how I feel about the border. It looks out of step with the quilt, and I don't like the wonky I got with the splicing.

I’d welcome all suggestions. FYI - skill wise, I'm a confident beginner so I'm limited to what I can pull off.

Sandy

IMG_2787.JPG

IMG_2786.JPG
    IMG_2788.JPG

I actually like the border. Color-wise it seems to be spot on and the bigger print gives the quilt some movement. I don't think the quilt would be as exciting if you went with one of the prints in the top. Beautiful piecing with all those points!
    Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

• srgreene
      srgreene commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. Maybe I'm trying to be too matchy matchy.

I see what you mean and would not be inclined to keep the border fabric, either. The design of the fabric is large enough that I would be tempted to fussy-cut it so the design is consistent. Since the fabric is part of a kit, you probably don't haven enough to do that.

Comment

I like it!
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

I know you would have to reduce the size of your border but I think I would re-cut it lining up the print. I do like it with your top.

Comment

• srgreene
          srgreene commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. Narrower is one a possiblilty.

I tend to like it too. Such pretty fabric. I would go with it. looks good so far.

Comment

I also like the fabric. Maybe make that outer border not quite so wide. It can be pieced using straight seams, not diagonal seams so the seams will barely show up.

Comment

• srgreene
            srgreene commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm going to try a straight piece and see if I can get a better line up. Thank you.

It looks good, a very nice match.

Comment

I like it a lot.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I love the border with the top. Agree it would be nice to match print if you can.

Comment

I also like the border fabric. It picks up all the colours in the quilt.
                Maria

Comment

I like the border fabric as well. The inner border color ..mustard yellow..I'm not a fan. I think I would have choose a different color. That might be why your questioning the border. Your eyes go to the color pop stop inner border..yellow then you look at the contrasting outter border and your thinking they don't match up. I would have used red or blue as the inner border. I'm matchy matchy too. Just my honest opinion. I love your quilt though...I love the fall feel!
                  Last edited by Momofmonsters5; November 6, 2020, 07:02 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• srgreene
                    srgreene commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I worried and sweat over the block construction and never looked at the kit's border fabrics. If I'd planned ahead I probably would have changed things up. I guess this comes under the heading of "you learn something with every quilt". Thanks. Sandy

• Momofmonsters5
                    Momofmonsters5 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh yeah,...you'll find most quilts are learning experiences that make you take things in a new direction. I recently designed a quilt to make as a gift ..it was intended to be square. In the contruction I realized I designed a rectangle. I was focused on the sections matching up. I totally missed it wasn't square....I just went with it! Your quilt is beautiful!

• ktdid
                    ktdid commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Actually I wouldn't use the border fabric. I liked it without it. The yellow gold seemed to frame it nicely. You did a great job with all those points!!

At first glance, I like the fabrics and the borders. I see your reservations with the fabrics with a second look.

I don't like to cut up prints where you lose the design. Just a quirk.

Do you know the manufacture/designer of the kit fabrics? You may be a bale to find a similar coordinate. I saw these earlier today before your post. There are some here that have a similar feel to the fabrics in your quilt.

https://www.shabbyfabrics.com/Henry-...0ASC&ps=72&p=0

Gorgeous quilt and I understand the border dilemma. If your voice is telling you "something different" go with it now. I have found my "voice" knows me best.

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
                    Momofmonsters5 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh I love henry glass..enabler lol thanks for the link!!

• srgreene
                    srgreene commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you. The plan as of this morning is to cut the borders and piece with a straight seam. I'll trim the border down to hopefully disguise the design wobble - the repeat of this design was too big for the proposed 5" border.. Then I'll move on with a lesson learned.

Appreciate the link too. I love that Henry Glass line.

I do like the border fabric. I always do a straight seam when having to piece borders, I only use the diagonal seams when piecing the binding.
                  Carlie

Comment

Working...
                  X