Fabric content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fabric content

I am a true newbie--. I have a question about fabric I have a room full of fabric from all sorts of planned projects. My quilting instructor said I could only quilt with known 100% cotton fabric. Why? I have many, many stacks of poly blends. Why would they work?

As a beginner, be prepared to be given lots of advice on “your” quilt; however, if your quilt instructor gave that recommendation you should probably ask her to explain why she believes that. It is true that 100% cotton is a preferred fabric by most quilters but I have seen many quilts using poly blend and they were beautiful. I have a quilt made by my hubbies grandmother made of poly blend. Perhaps, her reasoning is two-fold.. 1). poly blends have a mind of their own and can often stretch and distort. Quilting is a bit on the precise side so joining blocks that lose shape or distort will be difficult and the end result not very pleasing. 2). You are a beginner....getting discouraged in the beginning can lead to giving up....so, use fabrics that allow you to gain confidence in cutting, 1/4” seam allowances mastering, working with bias etc....and that would be 100% cotton. Your quilt instructor’s comment “you can only quilt with...” is a misnomer. In truth, you can make a quilt with anything, mostly. Learn what you can from your instructor and trust her judgment...it’s cool that she is spending the time to teach you what she has learned in her own journey....She wants you to succeed; .however, as you continue in your craft you’ll learn there is more than one way to quilt. Good luck and hope this helps!
    Last edited by Teen; October 30, 2020, 06:32 PM.
    "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Caroline T.
      Caroline T. commented
      Editing a comment
      Very well said.

I think that's silly. Quilts are made all over the world. In Japan they use silk. I just made a quilt and it was all poly or poly cotton.

The ugly quilt, in the eye of the beholder. lol

ugly hawaiian.jpg

🌺 Lorie

Comment

I choose not to use poly blends because they don't press as well or hold shape as well when making intricate blocks. Also many poly blends have pilling issues.
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

It's true, as everyone here has said, that polyester and poly blends do not behave the same way as cotton. Having said that, one of my first quilts included a poly blend because I desperately needed a blue checked fabric and couldn't find it in 100% cotton. Even though I was a beginning quilter, I was really happy with the quilt in the end.

I think the decision for you is this: do you want to save money in the beginning and use your poly blends? Or do you want to learn with cotton so that you understand the way most fabric for most quilts behaves? It's really up to you, and if you're willing to work with less forgiving fabric (poly), that's a perfectly valid choice to make!
        Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Poly is probably ok but more suited to scrap quilts than say star blocks where you need the points to be crisp and sharp. Why don't you make a test block (in the pattern you will be using for your quilt) with the poly and see if you are happy with the finish before you cut everything out. And welcome to the Forum from Wisconsin!

Comment

Welcome to the forum from Missouri.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Poly blends actually work just as well as cotton, and may last much longer. They fade less, aren't that hard to work with, and really only a fabric snob wouldn't consider them as useful. And yes, I say this from experience.
              TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

I've used poly blends, but to me you have to be consistent, meaning cotton fabrics shrink (if not prewashed), and wrinkle after you wash them, giving a beautiful soft aged look. The poly blends do not shrink, nor do they wrinkle when washed. I guess it all depends if you're happy with your results then by all means use them.
                Kathryn
                There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

Working...
                X