Please help me with a simple nine-patch design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help me with a simple nine-patch design

Hello everyone! I'm a brand new member looking for advice. I have gathered about a dozen half yards of Kaffe Fassett fabric with about a half dozen yards of coordinating solids. I want to make a quilt with nine-patches alternating with solid squares to showcase the bold designs of the fabric.

But since I'm a relative quilt beginner, I have no idea how to get started, what size to make the blocks, etc. Is there a pattern I could get? I've searched online and apparently this is such a simple design no one offers a pattern for it. Thank you for your assistance!

Hello and welcome!

You are in the right place. Lots of helpful tutorials and ideas for you.

https://quiltingtutorials.com/tutorials?q=Nine%20patch

Read through the steps in each tutorial first and check the finished sizes of the quilts. That will give you an idea if the pattern will work for you. Let us know if you need help with the process along the way.

Comment

Welcome! I have the perfect one for you. She shows step by step pictures and gives different sizes.

https://www.redpepperquilts.com/2014...-tutorial.html
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

• nativetexan
        nativetexan commented
        Editing a comment
        why do i never think of making strips and then making them into a nine patch? Interesting.

• geegeequilts
        geegeequilts commented
        Editing a comment
        Lorie, I've had to mark this as a "go back & look a little longer". You enabler you, lol. Beautiful & colorful. Gina

That’s a good one, Lorie!
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Welcome from Wisconsin! I love basic simple patterns like that. I did not watch the videos posted so my advice might be covered there. There's two ways to put your blocks together. With sashing or without. Sashing is a strip of (usually) a solid color that goes between each 9 patch block and a longer sashing strip between each row. If you use sashing then your 9 patch blocks should be layed out all the same. If you do not use sashing you will need to reverse your color placement in half your blocks to prevent double color blocks from forming where blocks are attached directly to each other. So for ex you would need to make Block 1 with a 9 patch layout dark/light/dark + light/dark/light + dark/light/dark and for Block 2 the opposite: light/dark/light + dark/light,/dark + light/dark/light. Hope that makes sense.
        Last edited by jjkaiser; October 30, 2020, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado. I can't believe you didn't find a pattern or tutorial. The 9P block is an old one & often is recommended for beginning quilters. I did a search & came up with numerous hits both on the reg. web & on YT. One site is FaveQuilts. They have 30+ free 9P patterns. Expand your search. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana. I've done a few nine patches. Here is my latest.

Rob
            Double Nine Patch.jpg
            There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
            --Ken Burns

Comment

Welcome from Idaho! 9-patch is a versatile block and used in many patterns with other blocks.. Perfect block to start with on your journey. Others have offered many links so I’ll just wish you luck and encourage you to share your project... Kaffe will be a bright beautiful quilt when done..
              "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Here is another site for you to check out. You might want to bookmark it. It has many patterns with good directions.
                https://www.quilterscache.com/N/NinePatchBlock.html

Comment

Thank you everyone for your inspiration and advice!

Comment

Working...
                  X