Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand Quilting with Cotton Lawn

Hi Fellow Quilters!

I am making my very first whole cloth baby quilt and have decided to hand quilt it (also a first). The top is a cotton lawn and the bottom is a regular quilting cotton solid. I have 8 wt cotton pearle for stitching and was about to start when I realized, do I have the right materials? Will I be able to pull the knot through such a fine weave as cotton lawn to begin hand stitching?

Please help a first time hand quilter create an amazing baby quilt for my first born!

Thanks and happy quilting!

Congratulations! I don't hand quilt but I have sewn clothing with Lawn. A really sharp needle and pins would be helpful.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

You CAN pull the knot through the bottom instead
      TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

• quiltycanada
        quiltycanada commented
        Editing a comment
        Never thought of that! What an easy way around. Thank you so much!

I think it would work. I can pull perle cotton #8 through muslin or cotton easily. Honestly idk what lawn is but if it is like linen it has a chunkier weave than cotton, which would make it easier not harder.Just try to make your knot as small and tight as you can and only use one strand of thread.

Comment

• quiltycanada
        quiltycanada commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the help! Cotton lawn is a tighter weave than quilting cotton thus why I was concerned I wouldn't be able to get a chunkier thread through it.

Welcome to this quilting forum from Texas. Love the advice that auntstuff gave you on pulling it through the bottom. We would love to see that quilt when you are finished (or even during the making process). This is a fantastic board & you will be glad you joined. Ask as many questions as you need....someone will come along with the answers.

Comment

Welcome from a fellow Canadian.
        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Congratulations and welcome!
          Katrina
          “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Welcome from another eastern Canadian. Sorry I dont know much about hand quilting, although I love the look. Look forward to seeing your progress and finished work.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Working...
            X