Thread issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread issues

I’m quilting the white squares on a quilt where the back is navy. I’m trying to use navy for the back thread & white for the front, but the back keeps pulling through. In the picture below, I did the top third with a 90/14 needle, and it got better when I switched to a 75/11 needle, but you can still see the navy thread peeking through occasionally. I’ve thought of playing around with the tension; is there anything else you can think of that could help solve this issue?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

i did that on one reversible quilt. the navy back border showed a tiny bit of white thread from the quilting on the other side. i happened to like it. I do so hate changing tensions but that may be what you need to do.

Comment

It looks like your upper tension is way too tight
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
        It looks like your upper tension is way too tight
        Agree that loosening the top tension would be the first step. Make a sandwich with the same material & batting and loosen it gradually and check the back to make sure none of the white top thread is peeking through. Sometimes you won't be able to get it perfectly adjusted ... but get the tension as best you can. Sometimes the problem will not be as noticeable after the first wash & dry.

Comment

image_120002.jpg Maybe this will help
          Kathryn
          There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

I agree with adjusting the top tension. If you can't get the tension perfect a light, or even medium gray on the backing would be less noticeable.

Comment

Depending on your machine you may be able to adjust the bobbin tension. As mentioned loosening the top my help but... I or no one else I know has ever gotten satisfactory results using different colored threads top and bottom. Commercial longarmers always use the same color front and back for a reason. Hope this helps.
              You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I played around with the tension, but it’s as good as I can get it. I’m pretty sure I’ve been told before to only use matching thread, but had completely forgotten, so it was good to have the reminder that even the pros have some amount of thread pull-through.

Comment

Working...
                X