Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to cut 384 pieces not once but twice-any suggested way of doing this quick and efficiently.

lots more info needed to help you with this.

Comment

Sorry I did not give more info-here you go. There are 24 different fabrics.
      Fabrics A- X, cut from EACH:
      (4) 3 1/2'' X WOF' (8.89cm x WOF) strips. Sub-cut into
      (8) 3 1/2'' x 3 1/2'' (8.89cm x 8.89cm) Piece 1 squares (192 total) Not sure just what "piece 1 square " means other that each sq is this size for 193 of them.
      (16) 2 3/4'' x 3 1/2'' (6.98cm x 8.89cm) Piece 2 rectangles (384 total)
      (16) 1 1/4'' x 3 1/2'' (3.17cm x 8.89cm) Piece 3 rectangles (384 total)

This is a pattern called "Ikat with Tula Pink Fabrics by 3 Dog Design Company.
      Sometimes reading and understand patterns are really hard for me-but I guess I am not the only one.

Comment

• Monique
        Monique commented
        Editing a comment
        Piece 1 are your 3 1/2" squares (192)
        Piece 2 are your 2 3/4"x 3 1/2" rectangles (384)
        Piece 3 are your 1 1/4" x 3 1/2" rectangles(384)

Just remember that the cutting is one of the most important parts of getting the quilt to go together easily and accurately. Maybe just enjoy the process. Once I got that mindset, I found that cutting out the pieces is one of my favorite parts. Use a good mat, a new blade in your rotary cutter and a steady ruler. I usually can cut 6 layers with no problem
      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
      Terry

Comment

No you are not alone i'm sure. I only know the first is to cut width of fabric (which is selvage to selvage) then cut your squares out of that or those strips. maybe someone will come in here that actually has the pattern and help more.

Comment

I'm slow and methodical with cutting. Im afraid of layering fabrics and cutting multiples. I like to make little 10 piece stacks so I can gauge my progress. That way I don't obsess over what's left to cut.

Not much help. Maybe just know I'm cheering for you and excited to see the results.

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
            CarlieBlilie commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree. When I have a large amount I do group them in 10’s so I know what i have completed. I did a chimney and cornerstones at the beginning of this year and it took a while to get everything cut out. If the task seems too daunting, do it in groups, a bit at a time.

Claudiaj, since you aren't sure what "piece 1 square" means, see if this helps: The 3-1/2" squares are named Piece 1. The 2-3/4" x 3-1/2" rectangles are Piece 2, and the 1-1/4" x 3-1/2" rectangles are Piece 3. The instructions should say something like "sew a Piece 1 to a Piece 2", etc., without saying "square" or "rectangle." If this still isn't clear, tell us, and maybe someone else can try defining it.
          Last edited by am2901; October 25, 2020, 09:42 AM.

Comment

• nativetexan
            nativetexan commented
            Editing a comment
            OH that sounds helpful. i too have to read and read again when using patterns. Even when i used to make clothing.

I am a fan of the Stripology ruler. I know some people on the forum are not fans and it is expensive. But I feel it is such a timesaver that it is worth the price. Another method of cutting I like is Debbie Caffrey's Power Cutting. Here is a link to one of her videos, she also has a book on the subject. Her method saves lots of time too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bkJKQwq4FI

Comment

• Claire Hallman
            Claire Hallman commented
            Editing a comment
            I love it too, liked the June Taylor one better but I wore it out. I use that almost every time I cut.

• Elise
            Elise commented
            Editing a comment
            I just watched this, great video, thank you!

Honestly, I wouldn't even consider doing something like that without an Accuquilt. Not sure if that fits into your plans or not, but with one you could cut that many in a couple of hours.

Rob
          There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
          --Ken Burns

Comment

Originally posted by am2901 View Post
            Claudiaj, since you aren't sure what "piece 1 square" means, see if this helps: The 3-1/2" squares are named Piece 1. The 2-3/4" x 3-1/2" rectangles are Piece 2, and the 1-1/4" x 3-1/2" rectangles are Piece 3. The instructions should say something like "sew a Piece 1 to a Piece 2", etc., without saying "square" or "rectangle." If this still isn't clear, tell us, and maybe someone else can try defining it.
            Thank you-that does explain it better and I am sure as I read through the instructions it would become clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob the HOAQ View Post
              Honestly, I wouldn't even consider doing something like that without an Accuquilt. Not sure if that fits into your plans or not, but with one you could cut that many in a couple of hours.

Rob
              I had thought about that and have looked at a lot of videos but am not sure I could get a dye
              that would fit the size of cuts I need. Unfortunately there are no quilt stores near me that carry this product. The closest is about 3 hours away.

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
                Rob the HOAQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Of course it depends on how much money you want to spend, but they will cut a custom die for you. As with anything custom it isn't inexpensive, but it can be done. I have at times designed a quilt based on the dies we have even if it didn't quite fit into the pattern that I drew inspiration from.

Rob

• Momofmonsters5
                Momofmonsters5 commented
                Editing a comment
                Joanns sells accuquilt. I got the little one on sale for like $60. I have a few dies. I really like it. I mainly use it for applique. I don't mind cutting squares and such but after I just cut a charm pack of apple cores. I'm like maybe I should buy the die...that was tedious!!

Before I would cut out "384 pieces not once but twice" using 24 fabrics, I would figure out what was needed to make one block, cut those pieces from fabric not being used in my project to make sure: 1 there are no errors in the cutting directions, 2 that the pieces went together properly, and 3 to see if there is an easier way to cut than what the designer put in their directions. Then when I understood fully how those pieces went together, then and only then, would I cut out those 768 plus pieces.
              But that is just me..... I too have problems understanding the directions in some quilt patterns.

Comment

Working...
              X