Scrap Quilt Design Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrap Quilt Design Suggestions?

Today I pulled out this quilt top that’s been sitting in the closet forever. It’s made of scraps from dresses I made for my daughter when she was little, dresses I made for myself when I was a teenager and a few vintage fabrics that were my mom’s. It’s the first top I started by myself after my mom passed. I haven’t worked on it in 15 years and I’d like to finish it.

It measures about 3’x4’ and I’d like to finish it as a twin or full size. I’d like suggestions for continuing. To this point I’ve done sort of an hour glass design. I would like to incorporate some kind of borders. I have lots of triangles already cut. Maybe I could use them to continue with a different design like flying geese or something? I’m kind of stuck for where to go from here, so thank you for any suggestions!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

I do love designing! Since you have more. I would put a small border and do more hour glasses. Then I would do another border a little wider with some appliques to tie it all together. I'm a very balanced quilter I like things to be even in value.

Comment

I agree Rachel, I'd do a border, then for me I'd use the hour glass blocks as another border, and maybe 2 more smaller borders with hour glass corners?? I think the geese would be a little distracting.
      Kathryn
      There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

I love that you saved all your dd's dresses and made them into a quilt. What a trip down memory lane for you. Anyways I think the main part of your quilt is so busy that an hourglass or FG border would be too much busy going on. I am pretty much in the borderless quilt camp (my quilts have no borders) so you are perfectly ok to disregard my opinion. I understand your problem though of needing to make it bigger somehow so I guess you would have to add one or more borders to get it to the right size. I would audition solids and see how that looks.

Comment

I can't stop thinking about your quilt! I am guessing you used up all your fabric from dresses so you can't make any more hourglass blocks? So you need to add about 4 feet at least? I think that would be way too much border and would look weird. You might kill me for this suggestion, but could you take your rows and blocks apart and put them back together adding sashing between blocks and rows. Maybe you could do sections of hg blocks (ex 4x4 would be one block). You would still probably need to border it but that would be another way to increase the size and have it look halfway decent in the end.

Comment

Working...
          X