Quilting with Reds…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting with Reds…

Good morning fellow quilters; thought I’d finally be brave and use the reds I’ve been collecting on a red & white. First off, could I get some specific direction on how to/how you rinse out your red fabric to prepare it for sewing?
    thanks so much!

I never do. I simply wash the finished quilt in cold water, minimal detergent, and a couple color catchers. Don't allow it to sit there wet, as that is when most bleeds happen
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

I did a test one time. I put my red fabric in twice with a color catcher and piece of white fabric. I didn't wash it a third time and never used the red. I was making a girls dress and used a different fabric

red.jpg
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Hello! I generally don’t pre-wash fabrics, except for reds. I learned the hard way not to trust reds. What I do is fill the sink (or washing machine) with lukewarm water, and just a couple drops of mild laundry detergent. I agitate the water by hand and watch for dye release. Nine times out of ten, I see the water turn pink (or darker if the fabric really lets go). I let it sit for about 30 minutes, then rinse well. I let the fabric air dry, then press to prep for cutting.
        My feeling is, it’s worth the effort to avoid disaster later. Good luck with your project. Sounds beautiful.

Comment

I do prewash . The thoughts of a ruined quilt is too much to bear. I had heard Dawn dish soap works wonder. Recently a quilt ( treasure ) I bought at a thrift store bled navy blue thru' the whole quilt. The dawn soap saved it. So now when I prewash I used a small squirt of dawn.

Comment

• auntstuff
            auntstuff commented
            Editing a comment

''''''''''

you might look into synthrapol at Dharma trading
          Wait, wait , wait. maybe it is not that one. No that is it. whew. the other is Retayne but that keeps colors in. It's been forever since i have used them.
          Last edited by nativetexan; October 22, 2020, 05:38 PM.

Comment

• auntstuff
            auntstuff commented
            Editing a comment
            Synthrapol is good for removing bleeds. Retayne STOPS bleeds.

Edit
            Flag

I usually wash fabrics with reds, navy and generally dark colours, batiks for sure. Having said that, I dont recommend washing pre-cuts in the washing machine, but you can soak them and swish around with soap and a colour catcher.

One of my worst experiences was the red backing on my king-size xmas quilt. I washed the backing twice with colour catchers, and after 3 washes, it was pretty clear. I quilted it on a rented long arm - beautiful. After xmas I washed it before putting it away -- I have 2 cats so this also gets out the hairs. Well the red bled through the quilted threads to the front -- smearing the light colours. I was crushed. I soaked with various laundry products, scrubbed some areas, and eventually after days, I moistened again and applied Retayne. I thought it was ruined, but I persevered. Save yourself the heartache and test the fabrics.

Our VQC group also received a top made by a quilter - red & white. The fabric had not been washed before assembling. So I gently washed it, and and treated the whites where it had bled. Some of the whites would not clear. So it sits in a pile, where someone will try to unstich all the blocks and replace it. Luckily this was not sandwiched and quilted or it would have been a throw-away.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

I pre-wash EVERYTHING. If fabric is going to shrink or bleed, I'd rather that it happen before construction. I keep a utility bucket just for fabric (sorry, DH, you cannot use that one for washing the car). Fill the bucket with hot water and a little detergent. Dunk the fabric in and swish it around for a couple of minutes. Squeeze out the excess water, then dump the bucket in the laundry sink. I am sometimes aghast at how much excess dye remains in the water. Rinse the bucket, then fill again. Plunge the fabric in and rinse. I keep changing the rinse water multiple times until it is completely clear. Using a white styrofoam cup, scoop out some of the rinse water. You can see if the fabric is still shedding color. Once I think I have gotten out all the excess dye, I run the fabric through the washer with a color catcher (using no soap, so the fabric just gets thoroughly rinsed a couple more times). Invariably, there is still some color on the color catcher.

As you might have guessed, I rarely use pre-cuts. I zig-zag the ends of cut yardage and the raw edges of fat quarters before I start the pre-washing process.

Comment

I never prewash..I do use color catchers though. Not just for the first wash but everytime I wash a quilt. Never had an issue, thank goodness!

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
                Hillbillyhike commented
                Editing a comment
                I've never heard of those. Is that the brand name?

• Momofmonsters5
                Momofmonsters5 commented
                Editing a comment
                They are made by shout. I've been using them for years. They soak up extra dye in the wash. I still double check before drying but they are amazing!!

• MSN
                MSN commented
                Editing a comment
                Hillbillyhike, look for Shout color catchers in the laundry aisle. I don't know if they are available in Canada, but I would think so. If you use a front load washer, put the color catcher sheet in a lingerie bag to keep it from getting jammed in the drain hose and cause a flood.

I don't prewash and have used reds on numerous occasions. Once the quilt is finished, I'll wash and dry it. I do throw in a couple of colour catchers when I can get my hands on them from the U.S. as they are not available anywhere where I live - at least, I've never been able to find any here. I can't recall ever having had any problems with bleeding.
              Maria

Comment

Working...
              X