First Quilt quilting problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Quilt quilting problems

Good morning. I'm still working on my baby quilt. I started quilting it yesterday. It's a very simple strip quilt. The strips are all the same length but are different widths. I'm using a serpentine stitch through the length of the strips. I started in the center of the middle strip and stitched toward one edge of the quilt. I turned the quilt around and tried to meet that first stitch and quilt out to the opposite edge of the quilt. I have two problems. The serpentine stitch does not match at the center point. It looks a little wonky. If I were doing a straight stitch it would be easy to match them up, but I don't know how or if it's even possible to get the serpentine stitch to look continuous. The second problem I'm having is that the stitch is very bunched up in some spots. Instead of being a half inch from the top of one curve to the next it's less than a quarter inch. I'm guessing this has something to do with the way the quilt is moving through the sewing machine? I know my first quilt isn't going to be perfect and there will be mistakes, but these mistakes are right in the center of the quilt where it's most noticeable. My solution for the stitches not meeting well in the center would be to just quilt straight across the whole quilt. Everything I've been told and read though says to work from the center out. Please help me figure this out. The recipient of this quilt, my first grandchild, was born Monday. Her name is Sage and she's healthy and gorgeous! I was hoping to have this done by the time she was born now I'm shooting for sometime this year! HaHa!

First, congratulations on your first GC. Now, since it is a baby quilt there is no reason you cannot quilt side to side. If you had a large quilt starting in the center is advisable, but there is always room to do whatever you want. I would practice on a scrap to see how you could line up the serpentine by marking where you start and stop until you get a continuous line to your liking. I do not know why you are bunching, but you could be slightly pulling on the fabric as it feeds under the presser foot. This quilt will be loved no matter how imperfect you think it is because Grandma made it. Relax and enjoy the process.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

Comment

• CeeGee15
      CeeGee15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. I think I was looking for permission to quilt side to side.

CeeGee, if you quilt one row going left to right and the next one right to left it should help a lot. Quilt each row edge to edge. The first row you quilt should be near the center of your quilt. Using a walking foot is a good idea if you have one. Good luck.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• CeeGee15
      CeeGee15 commented
      Editing a comment
      I am using a walking foot. I think I'm going to do what you suggest, alternate the direction and quilt one full row at a time. Thanks!

Congratulations on your grand-baby!

Try changing the stitch length to 3.0 or 3.5 and see if that helps. Try the changes on a sample first before stitching on the quilt.

Do you have a walking foot for the machine?

What needle type/size are you using now? Try a topstitch 90/14 to see if that helps.

You can use a strip of painters tape across the quilt to keep the lines straight. Find a spot to line the edge of tape with the foot as the quilt goes through the machine. The serpentine stitch goes back and forth so the quilt wants to walk. The tape is a guide line. Easy to re-position for the next line of stitching. Don't stitch through the tape.

I would use two pieces of tape. Place them the distance that you want between rows. Example: If you want to use 3 inches apart. Stitch the first row using the "first" piece of tape. Move the tape to the next 3 inch position under the "second" piece of tape. Keep moving the strips as needed. You will be working off of the 3 inch line each time you move the tape.

Good luck!

Comment

• CeeGee15
      CeeGee15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Im going to try the tape.

You might could figure out how many stitches your machine makes left to right for each wave of the serpentine stitch then start out on a scrap until you gt to the right place to move over to your baby quilt and place the needle down then continue. I hope this makes some sense.
    Using a walking foot will help with bunching.

Comment

I've done several strip baby quilts..I quilt side to side if I'm not fmq. This one I used the serpertine stitch in rows. I quilted it every two rows in both directions. 20200808_142742.jpg

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        Cute quilt Rachel!

When using a straight stitch or the serpentine stitch I do start in the center - the center row, not the middle (center) of the quilt. This is what I was taught when I took my beginner quilting class a few years ago.
      I find the center row of the quilt and start sewing from one end to the other. I continue until I'm done all the rows from center to the right side of the quilt and then rotate the quilt, start from the row next to the one I originally started from and do all the remaining rows to the right of that one. Once I'm done the horizontal rows, I turn it and do the same with the vertical rows (or vice-versa - it doesn't matter which direction you sew first).
      I hope this makes sense and good luck completing your quilt. I'm sure it will be beautiful when it's done.
      Maria

Comment

Working...
      X