Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mdtrimble
    replied
    What kind of thread are you using? I k ow that some people can quilt successfully with cotton thread, but I’ve found that it always snaps for me, and once I switched to polyester, I haven’t had any more issues with thread breaking.

Leave a comment:

• kimimiel
    replied
    Very interesting information. Thanks! Im researched some same review and found https://webproductradar.com/best-mini-sewing-machine
    Last edited by kimimiel; October 22, 2020, 01:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied
    A top stitch 90-14 needle is recommended for FMQ on one's DSM. It's heavier, has a larger eye, & is better able to quilt through those thicker areas.

Leave a comment:

• CarlieBlilie
    replied
    One other thing I found out is that you need to use a finer thread and needle when you are quilting batiks. My thread always snapped before I got the right needle and thread when I was quilting my batiks.

Leave a comment:

• Claire Hallman
    replied
    Be sure your thread spool is not being caught somewhere, a thread stand helps with some spools and types of thread. Your needle should match the thread size. Look at Superior Thread website for great info about this.

Leave a comment:

• nativetexan
    replied
    well there are needles for various types of stitching and fabric. thick areas can be stitched through but a bit slower than the rest of the quilt. that helps your needle stay straight as it goes through thickness. They can break. is your stitching fine otherwise?
    I just found another post on a different forum. Hope you get more help here. Good luck.
    Last edited by nativetexan; October 19, 2020, 09:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• grammaterry
    replied
    Is this FMQ machine quilting? If so, you may be going too fast and when you make a curve or change of direction abruptly, your hands may be going faster than your machine and that could cause it to break.

Leave a comment:

• katesquiltingadventures
    started a topic Machine Quilting - Thread Snapping

Machine Quilting - Thread Snapping

Hi All!

I've recently started quilting (and absolutely loving it!) and I'm at the stage now where I'm machine quilting for the first time. I basted my quilt and starting machine quilting although a couple of times now when I've tried to sew through the thicker parts of the quilt (where there's a few layers) the needle has started to jar and the thread ends up snapping. Am I using the wrong size needle? or thread?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!
Working...
X