Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Machine Quilting - Thread Snapping

Hi All!

I've recently started quilting (and absolutely loving it!) and I'm at the stage now where I'm machine quilting for the first time. I basted my quilt and starting machine quilting although a couple of times now when I've tried to sew through the thicker parts of the quilt (where there's a few layers) the needle has started to jar and the thread ends up snapping. Am I using the wrong size needle? or thread?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!

Is this FMQ machine quilting? If so, you may be going too fast and when you make a curve or change of direction abruptly, your hands may be going faster than your machine and that could cause it to break.
    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
    Terry

Comment

well there are needles for various types of stitching and fabric. thick areas can be stitched through but a bit slower than the rest of the quilt. that helps your needle stay straight as it goes through thickness. They can break. is your stitching fine otherwise?
      I just found another post on a different forum. Hope you get more help here. Good luck.
      Last edited by nativetexan; October 19, 2020, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Be sure your thread spool is not being caught somewhere, a thread stand helps with some spools and types of thread. Your needle should match the thread size. Look at Superior Thread website for great info about this.

Comment

One other thing I found out is that you need to use a finer thread and needle when you are quilting batiks. My thread always snapped before I got the right needle and thread when I was quilting my batiks.
          Carlie

Comment

A top stitch 90-14 needle is recommended for FMQ on one's DSM. It's heavier, has a larger eye, & is better able to quilt through those thicker areas.

Comment

Very interesting information. Thanks! Im researched some same review and found https://webproductradar.com/best-mini-sewing-machine
              Last edited by kimimiel; October 22, 2020, 01:36 PM.

Comment

What kind of thread are you using? I k ow that some people can quilt successfully with cotton thread, but I’ve found that it always snaps for me, and once I switched to polyester, I haven’t had any more issues with thread breaking.

Comment

Working...
                X