Heavy quilt need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heavy quilt need help

So I just finished this memory quilt for a customer and it’s huge which she wanted it to be 90”x108”. It’s huge and heavy. I have a Janome that has an ok throat good size but not huge. She wanted me to FMQ but I told her I couldn’t but I would do a stitch in the ditch. I have tried 3 times now even with a walking foot. It’s so heavy and it drags. I’ve rolled it to fit but it’s not flowing easily through my machine with a 90/14 new needle. Please sing suggestions. Mahalo.
    sigpicHawaiigrammi

well i got a bar stool from my kitchen island (taller than a chair) and put it in front of my sewing table. something like that might help catch the quilt as it falls off the front of the table. I hate trying to do heavy or large quilts now but then, I'm old! good luck.

Comment

I don't know how the community situation is over there, pretty mellow here. Asking because maybe you could take it to a community center or church, someplace with space and tables? Do you have some sawhorses? Home Depot has the plastic ones that aren't too expensive and fold up. I bought some for some projects.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

• AlohaSandy
        AlohaSandy commented
        Editing a comment
        Don’t have anywhere I can take. I have a lot of room to work it’s just so darn heavy won’t go through my machine easily even with a walking foot.

Put your ironing board by your machine to hold some of the quilt.

Comment

• AlohaSandy
        AlohaSandy commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I’ve done that still pretty heavy. Mahalo

I had a quilt like that and I machine tied it. I fed the floss then tied, last took to the machine and ziz zaged over the tie. I quilted stars in the border.

Comment

I just finished quilting a California king sized denim quilt, so I hear you. You need some way to support the weight of the quilt. In my case, I have begun collecting old sewing machines, so I put several tables together - to my left and behind my machine, so that it was supported. Tables, ironing board, whatever you have will help. I also saw an article somewhere, they figured out a way to hang the quilt from the ceiling, I can’t remember exactly how, but it took the weight off the quilt.

I’ve never had luck rolling one, I just kind of scrunch it up in my lap. Work from center out to edge, turn and repeat, so you never have to get over half of it under the machine.

Good luck!
        sigpicIf you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

Comment

Here's some more hanging ideas

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...mageHoverTitle
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
          Much mahalo
          sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

Originally posted by Momofmonsters5 View Post
            I had a quilt like that and I machine tied it. I fed the floss then tied, last took to the machine and ziz zaged over the tie. I quilted stars in the border.
            Customer won’t do tie and she wanted it FMQ that’s not happening lol
            sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

I would try support then and FMQ

Comment

Working...
              X