Thread for piecing on sewing machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread for piecing on sewing machine

I’ve pieced two small quilt tops on my sewing machine using all purpose thread. I want to do a better job on my third quilt that I’m about to start. I’ve read it’s best to use a finer thread for piecing, but they seem to only be sold as large spools that won’t fit on my machine. Advice?

There are lots of thread companies that sell in smaller spools. Some people use favorites because their machine 'likes' it or cost etc. I'm using up thread right now so I don't have a favorite. I bought some good ole Coats and Clark the other day, because I was matching up fabric in my hand. That's all they carry anyway. My other shop carries four or five brands.

Think link has all the brands or most of them.

https://redrockthreads.com/aurifil-t...nt=Aurifil%201
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

I bought a thread holder so I could buy the bigger cones to use. Just google thread stand holder to see different ones.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        What's a good brand of bigger cones Mimi?

• Mimi_Howard
        Mimi_Howard commented
        Editing a comment
        I am still trying to find a good one, at least one that my janome won't throw hissy fit with.

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        When my Singer throws a thread hissy fit, I throw one too 😄

I use connecting threads..I'm cheap with thread because half it goes in trash.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        It sure does!

My favorite thread on the cone for piecing I should Superior So Fine. That being said, I use all kinds of thread, trying to use up what I have.

Comment

Try Glide brand.
        I use it for piecing and quilting. Plus you can use it in the bobbin. It works well in all my machines.

There are large and small cones available.
        I use a thread stand for large cones. Plus there is a thread color chart that has each color. There are pre wound bobbins in certain colors. More thread on pre wounds than
        I can wind on them with my machine.

Comment

i tend to use Connectingthreads Essential cotton threads. i have a heavy spool holder behind and to the right of my machine. I love their thread. my machine is a Janome and tends to like it too and using the same in bobbin and on top. But that is just my machine.

Comment

I use 50 wt. cotton thread for piecing, which I buy on a large cone. Years ago, I bought a free standing thread holder. A word of caution when using a thread holder: position it away from the wheel on your mach. One time, unbeknowns to me, a bunch of thread got wrapped around the wheel. I didn't realize it, but my repairman discovered it when I took my machine in for a cleaning & service. It was quite a bird's nest! Now I set the thread holder behind my machine & bring it up over the top of my machine. I use Glide thread only for quilting.

Comment

My machine won't handle large spools either so I made a makeshift spool holder. Here's a couple of pictures of what I did. I just sit the spool in a cup at the back right side of my machine & then made a little "hook" on top of my machine & taped it on top & threaded the thread through the little hook & then just continued to thread my machine as normal. It works well for me.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
                Hillbillyhike commented
                Editing a comment
                I like this idea! What kind of thread do you use?

• osewme
                osewme commented
                Editing a comment
                I use Connecting Thread Essential for about 85% of all my sewing (piecing, quilting, general sewing). I'm using Superior Thread (Masterpiece) for making my facemasks for the children in Massachusetts right now because I got a really good deal from them a couple of years ago. I have a lot of various brands (Coats & Clark, etc.) that I use also. My machine is not picky about what brand or weight I use.
                Last edited by osewme; October 16, 2020, 08:07 AM.

• Hillbillyhike
                Hillbillyhike commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks! I think I will try one of the ones suggested. I do have lots of Coates and Clark and some Gütermann that I need to use up. I've had pretty good luck with them. Occasionally get breakage, but that's likely more my error. I want to get some cheaper piecing and quilting thread on a big spool or cone. Maybe I'll use my old threads for FMQ practice.

Connecting Thread Essential are really good. I like them a lot and use them myself. I remember that I started sewing when I was young. I remember when I was a kid and I saw my mother work on her old singer machine when I was around 5 or 6. It was suck a mystery for me because here she was sitting by this huge machine that made this loud noise and all that colorful fabric flowing to the floor. It has been really such an amazing experience. I have been asking her to teach me ever since then. She caved when I was about 15 and I have been using that skill ever. I have been reading different articles regarding different techniques online because I want to be able to do new things. I usually want to share my knowledge with my kids. I usually read these really dope articles on this really cool website that you guys can check it here: http://sewingmachinebuffs.com/how-to-thread-a-singer-sewing-machine/ I really like it and I think if someone is wanting to learn more about sewing you should give it a good.
              Last edited by alyssagrey93; October 26, 2020, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X