Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fabric switch up question

Morning,
    I've had this kit for a few years. I cannabilized the background fabric (solid white) for a different project. I think the reason that I never got this project underway is the solid colors and white background didn't stir my juices once I got the kit. I wonder if anyone has some thoughts on how to jazz this pattern up. I'm working on another stain glass lap quilt with bright colors and black sashing, so I'm not inclined to use black in this, although with the saturated colors, that's an option.

All thoughts are welcome. There are 15 separate colors for the blocks ranging from charcoal and navy to sherbert and lemonade.

I love grey with bright colors. i have a couple on my Pinterest page. Here's a couple.

grey background.jpg

grey5.jpg
    Last edited by Hulamoon; October 14, 2020, 12:54 PM.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Here is something similar made with black background. It was called Cabin Windows. The picture looks rather faded, but it is more Amish-like in reality.
    Attached Files
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

Comment

• srgreene
      srgreene commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice. Thx

I have to vote black, it puts an extra degree of color to the visual of the other colors it is matched too. White would be too stark and barren looking to me. I do like the grey idea too, I think a darker grey would be a nice choice. For me the grey dulls next to pink or red, but I think that is just me since those are my 2 least favorite colors.

Comment

• srgreene
      srgreene commented
      Editing a comment
      Good thoughts. Thx. Before I choose a grey, I'll test run it by the pink and red.

You might change out the center block for something different. A multi-color fabric like Hulamoon posted would work to add interest.

Comment

• srgreene
      srgreene commented
      Editing a comment
      I like that idea. If I used a center block with some pattern, that would overcome the sameness (to me) of the solids. Thx.

What about a midnight blue or navy? Or perhaps pastel colours matching the other colours and swapping them around the squares....blue with green, yellow with orange, etc. I like the grey too. It's less harsh than black. I also like the idea of adding patterns or changing out the center block. Could swap the "rings" too.
    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

• srgreene
      srgreene commented
      Editing a comment
      Good thoughts. I think I'm going to take the colors I have to the #Woodenspools in Denver and see if I can't get some coordinating prints to mix in with a background fabric. Wooden Spools sells refreshed quilt fabric and they have a lot FQ and small cuts of variety and eclectic choices for great prices. I like the idea of navy as a background too. I'll see what I can find. I looked back at Darlene Zimmerman's original pattern and she used 1/2 darks and 1/2 lights rather than a single background.

This project will take longer to re-design this way, but I know I'll enjoy it more when I'm finished. The original kit was discounted for a reason - dullness . At the time I bought it, I was more worried about my skill set than overall appeal. Thx for your ideas.

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds like a good idea. It's worth investing the time to get it how you will be happy with it. That quilt fabric refreshing sounds interesting. What a great idea! I wish we had a place like that here. I used to love getting remnants at the local fabric shops before covid.
Working...
X