Fireside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fireside

65846C17-BA3F-4059-AAC9-D1F49376944F.jpeg Looking for your wonderful opinions. I have just finished a King size quilt. I want it to be warm for those cold winter nights. Is it a good idea to put fireside on the back? Would it be too heavy? Too hard to quilt on a LA? Or should I just stick with flannel? Thought i’d Add a pic to show you the finished top as I think it’s lovely

That quilt is so pretty. It looks like the stars are twinkling. I don't know what fireside is so I cannot comment on that question. I do know that flannel would be soft & comfy.

Comment

• Monique
      Monique commented
      Editing a comment
      I was going to post the same answer. I don't know what fireside is either, I use flannel sheets on the back of my quilts.

Wow, what a beauty! I had to look up what that was and it looks felt like or like some kind of terry. Can you explain more what it is? This site has a good pic, but no info

https://www.trendtexfabrics.com/fire...reside-9002-16

I found the term (for us that are curious)

Fireside is a knit fabric and, like most knit fabrics, it is stretchy. To keep it from stretching as you sew, it is important to do a good job basting your layers before you start quilting. If you are using quilters’ curved safety pins, you should have one pin every 4” (10cm) both vertically and horizontally.
    Last edited by Hulamoon; October 12, 2020, 10:29 AM.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Beautiful work! Love it!

Rob
      There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
      --Ken Burns

Comment

What a wonderful quilt! It is lovely.

Jeannette

Comment

That is such a beautiful quilt! I would just back it with muslin and use a good 100% cotton batting. Muslin holds the heat of your body in and to me it is just as warm as flannel. I don't know what fireside is, I never heard of it, but if it is stretchy, as someone said, I would not use it.

Comment

I’m in the process of making a queen/almost king sized quilt for my son and his wife which I’ll be backing with fireside as well. To me it feels a little lighter than Minky and (it may be my imagination) fireside seems to get softer after it’s washed. As far as weight, it will probably be a little heavier than an all cotton quilt but not much different than if you were to use a Minky.

Hope this helps. Your quilt is beautiful!
            Maria

Comment

I used a similar fabric on the back of a Christmas quilt, a knitted sculpted velour type fabric. It is not much heavier than a cotton backing, and very comfortable. It was not problem to quilt on my long arm, just be careful not to stretch it while loading.
              Lyn

If I ever got it all together, I'd be too tired to do anything with it.
              🙄

Comment

You're quilt is gorgeous!

I bought something that was like minky from Joann's once. Boy am I glad I decided to prewash it! It had balled up all over it. Not small balls either. Some as big as my fist. Just saying. Hopefully your fireside is better quality than what I bought.

Last edited by Vonnie; October 12, 2020, 08:45 PM.
                Vonnie

Comment

I would stick with flannel (pre-washed) or muslin.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

It's very pretty. It does give the impression it is twinkling.

Comment

I have never heard of fireside before. It doesn't sound like a product I'd use. I'm all for batting of 80/20 with the normal cotton backing -- preferably a color that matches the front. Your quilt is beautiful.

Comment

I have not used it yet. I too am thinking of backing a quilt for sin & daughter-in-law who want a warm quilt. The advice from the LQS was that is great for LAQ, easier than fleece, minty etc.

Comment

I can't comment on using Fireside, but want to say your quilt top is beautiful!

Comment

Can not help you with my opinion because I have not used Fireside but I must say that your quilt is fantastic and the stars seem to shine, good job

Comment

Working...
                            X