flannel backing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flannel backing

I decided to use flannel to back a Christmas quilt I have pieced. I am also using some poly batting that I was given. Is there anything I need to do differently when fmq this sandwich?
    I was also given a good amount of fleece, I plan to use it to back some Project Linus quilts, anything special to fmq this and do I use batting as well as the fleece?
    I am using a sit down long arm to fmq the quilts.
    Thanks for any advice or warnings.😁

When I use flannel or fleece, I do not use batting. I think it would add too much weight to the quilt, but that is a personal preference. Also I think that it would add too much thickness for fmq. I am sure someone else will have a better answer for you.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

Comment

I am planning on flannel backing mama's quilt. I am curious to find out the answers to your question. Thanks for beating me to it Claire! πŸ™‚
      Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

I think it is personal preference. I have made quilts with flannel front and back, and I used a lightweight cotton batting. For the little weight it added, I like that it gives the seams a little bit of cushioning to keep them from feeling "lumpy". I also made one with flannel top and fleece back, with a light batting. I have not had trouble quilting them on either my domestic (with adjustable presser foot position) or my long arm.
        Lyn

If I ever got it all together, I'd be too tired to do anything with it.
        πŸ™„

Comment

I've done both as well, I use batting. My parents are in NM and have the flannel front and back with batting and get use. My daughter has the one backed with fleece. I really like and perfer batting.

Comment

At the quilt guild I belong to we have been putting batting with a flannel backing and have not had any problem with machine quilting. We use either Quilters Dream or Warm and Natural for the batting.
            Carlie

Comment

I've always used flannel for backing on all my quilts, used W/N batting, STID with walking foot on my Babylock domestic machine. No problems. Almost forgot to add, I used spray basting. Also, I begin my quilting at the right side of my quilts. Never had a problem ......so far, lol. Gina

Comment

Thanks everyone, I guess will try the dish shaped foot that is made for thick quilts for the flannel with batting. I am glad I don't need to take apart the sandwich I did yesterday.😊

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
                  Hillbillyhike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What's a dish shaped foot Claire?

• Claire Hallman
                  Claire Hallman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My machine has a foot shaped like a little bowl that is supposed to work well on thick areas.

I’ve also used flannel to back my quilts numerous times and have made a few with flannel front and back. For batting, I’ve used both 100% cotton and cotton/poly blend. It was easy to use both a walking foot or a fmq foot on my domestic machine. I just treated them the same way I would any other quilt. The only thing I’ve done differently is to pre-wash the flannel (I don’t pre-wash my cottons) because of the extra shrinkage some flannels are famous for).
                Maria

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
                  Hillbillyhike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I do the same Maria. My LA said to preshrink the flannel. I don't preshrink my fabric because I use warm and natural cotton. I figure they will shrink at the same time and rate.

• Vonnie
                  Vonnie commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ditto! I prewash the flannel. Not the cotton top or the batting, just the flannel. I also decided to use batting on where the person lives. If it is hot Southern California, I might just use flannel instead of batting. Still 3 layers, cotton top, cotton backing and flannel for batting. Still prewash the flannel. Then after it's made, I wash the entire quilt just to check for problems with seams/quilting and also shrinkage. I made a quilt for my oldest brother, he's 6'4". I figured if I made the quilt 80" long it would be enough. It shrunk 9"! I was so mad. But, he loved it anyway. He takes naps with it in his recliner. Also made him a horseshoe shaped pillow (Crafty Gemini has an excellent tutorial) which is great for sleeping in chairs or airline seats.
              Working...
              X