New Quilter Question-Pattern and Color Choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Quilter Question-Pattern and Color Choices

Hello everyone. I am relatively new to quilting and joined this group today because I so love the tutorials from Missouri Star Quilt Co and many of the posts here are from rather experienced quilters. I am not sure if I am in the correct topic area, so if not, can someone direct me to where this should go. So far I have completed five quilts from class where the fabrics were chosen for me. I tried to strike out on my own....I obtained a great package of material (17 fat quarters) from an older collection called Janine Burke Great Wall (Troy Riverwoods) that are in orange, purple, green and pink. They are pretty dark. I have NO idea where to start to locate an appropriate pattern for beginner/intermediate quilters and would love recommendation from the more experienced users. Anyone interested in helping me? I can attach a photo of the materials if needed.

Hi! I think I would start with googling fat quarter quilts because that's not a typical precut that M* features in tutorials. Then find a style/mood you like to narrow it down. I would love to see the fabrics!
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

There's a pattern here ...

https://www.undercoverquilts.com/sto...ne_Burke_.html

It may not be a pattern you would like but at least the Forum can see the fabric. I rather like the colours.

Comment

• sewUK
        sewUK commented
        Editing a comment
        Just realised I posted at the same time as Bernice !!!!!

• Bernice T
        Bernice T commented
        Editing a comment
        I like it. Hoping I can see the fabric requirements since I am pretty sure that since the material is from an older line there will be no others in the offing.

Here is what the quarters look like....
      Attached Files

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        Love that line !! Those are beautiful colours.

Those are beautiful! For some reason an illusion quilt popped in my head.

illusion.jpg
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Turning Twenty is a great pattern for beginner and uses fat quarters, colors would work great.
        sigpic

Comment

that is really cool looking. any thoughts on what color to use for the background? I looked at the video, it was for 10 in squares. Would this be doable with my fat quarters? Time to get the measuring tape out.

Comment

• Hulamoon
            Hulamoon commented
            Editing a comment
            They are usually white to get the effect. It's actually called a shadow quilt and there are lots of tutorials for them. For ideas...

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...mageBasicHover

• Claire Hallman
            Claire Hallman commented
            Editing a comment
            You could adjust the size and use 9" squares to get the most from your fat quarters.

I am not good about picking out patterns but I sure like your fat quarters. When I made the illusion quilt I used a white on white fabric

Comment

I love yellow brick road as a beginner project. I've done an illusion quilt.

Comment

The Tea Cup would be cute in your fabrics. It takes one layer cake, so a FQ would work.

https://quiltingtutorials.com/tutori...-precut-fabric
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
              X