Photo Fabric for Memory Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photo Fabric for Memory Quilt

I’m a beginner quilter and this is my first post here. I’m making a memory quilt and I’m looking for a photo fabric product for inkjet printers. I found the EQ photo fabric but the fabric is a warm white. I need a cool white. Does anyone know of a photo fabric that is a cool white? Or better yet, is there a product that would allow me to use my own fabric to print the photo on?

Welcome to the forum. When I googled cool white photo fabric nothing specific came up. I plan to use the EQ fabric paper for a quilt I designed about Abraham Lincoln, but to be honest I never paid attention to warm or cool white. I've never heard of anything that would allow you to use your own fabric to print on, but of course that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Good luck!

Rob
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

Comment

well i have freezer paper for printing block patterns on and foundation paper with patterns on that. I know i had some fabric that went through printers. I did some photos that way but it was too expensive for me. I took fabric to a print shop and photos and had them do it for me long ago for a memory quilt. Now, do a search for Inkjet fabric sheets and you will get lots of places. someone who has done this will pop in soon to help you more.

Comment

I personally do not like the texture of the photo fabric.

But, there is an online business called Spoonflower. You send your photos to them over the internet. They have an explanation on how to do this. They will only print on their fabric but their prices are very reasonable. We went on vacation last year and sent them enough photos to fill 3 yards of white cotton fabric. They came out very nice. The quality the same as quilting cotton. They also print on fleece. https://www.spoonflower.com/en/how-it-works
        Vonnie

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
          Momofmonsters5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Vonnie!! My three boys are in the Army and I have the Army fabric but want to add in pictures of then each with their basic photos and a few others. One of my sons is so excited and wants it for him. I would go this route for that as it should be used and the texture of photo sheets is not ideal. Thanks again!!

• sewcrazy64
          sewcrazy64 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you! I will check them out.

• Vonnie
          Vonnie commented
          Editing a comment
          You're welcome! My oldest was in the Army. I wanted to make him an Army quilt or a QOV and he does not want one. Even offered to take his t-shirts and make a quilt. Oh well. I'm glad your sons want memory quilts. We used Spoonflower to make a memory motorcycle quilt and used several different bandana fabrics (Marshall Dry Goods has a big selection) and pictures from road trips we made with him and his wife. He loved it.

I've made a few. I've done it with June Taylor's sheets and freezer paper. Honestly I think the photos look better on the warm white verses the stark white. Just make sure you set the ink after you print. I also do a test run with paper marking a corner to make sure I feed it right. It's expensive lol. These are for show only, the sun fades your pics. I wouldn't do this for an item to be used.
        This is the most recent for my son. It's using the warm white.

16023543706599030415174574605466.jpg

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
          Momofmonsters5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Sure, the directions are on the freezer paper box. Not sure if they still print it on there as these I've had for a while.

• Momofmonsters5
          Momofmonsters5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Applique is on the box so I'm sure I used a tutorial.

https://thegraphicsfairy.com/print-f...aper-method-2/

Here's the tutorial..sorry I thought i posted.

• sewcrazy64
          sewcrazy64 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you! I’m going to try it.

I had pictures printed through Spoonflower and they turned out absolutely fantastic - true to color! Just make sure you’ve got a clear, sharp picture if you’re having it enlarged. I did 14x14” pics and they were beautiful.
        Last edited by cindirae; October 10, 2020, 06:28 PM.
        Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

Sorry, pic didn’t post before. Here’s a Spoonflower pic.
          1B7E8FCD-B3A7-47DC-B7C8-1FDAE7A0EA3D.jpeg
          Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

• sewcrazy64
            sewcrazy64 commented
            Editing a comment
            The picture turned out beautifully! Thanks for sharing it!

I use Inkjet Fabric Sheets by Jacquard. It's a 10 sheet pack -- 8.5 X 11 sheets. I buy them from Amazon. I haven't checked the price lately, but when I bought them the last time, they were ~$10./pkt., or $1./sheet. I use mine for making a Word doc. of quilt labels. I always bold the print. Before ever using the labels, I iron them for a few seconds to set the ink. I place a sheet of typing paper between the iron & the label sheet. I usually can get 8 labels per page, making a 2 column doc. I saw these demo'd at a quilt show several yrs. ago where the quilter used these sheets for a photo memory quilt.

Comment

• sewcrazy64
            sewcrazy64 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you! I will check it out.

Several years ago I bought a product called Bubble Jet Set which you use on your own fabric. It worked fine, and you can still buy it at several places including Amazon.

This link has some information.

https://phoebemoon.com/tutorials/bubble-jet-set.htm
          Nancy

Psalm 126:3 The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.

Comment

Working...
          X