Clamshell top help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clamshell top help please

I am piecing my first quilt top. I've choosen the Clamshell pattern that is available through Missouri Star Quilt. I just love the design.

I'm having no problem sewing the curves, or sewing a single row. My main problem is coming when sewing two rows together.
    The first half of the row will match up perfect, but the second half gets off.

Any suggestions for how to get all my seams to match up when they are suppose to. I am paying attention to nesting my straight seams.

Hi, welcome to the forum! To be honest I looked at how this was assembled and it seems harder than it should be with all those pieces. Are you too far along to do something like this?

clamshell.jpg
    ๐ŸŒบ Lorie

Comment

• k.jisanne@gmail.com
      [email protected] commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm using the small drunkard's path template so my clam are in 4 pieces and larger than yours. The layout I have no problems with.

• Hulamoon
      Hulamoon commented
      Editing a comment
      I grabbed the picture off the net๐Ÿ™Š

Can you post a picture of how it is off?

Did you use the large template and cut the inside curve of the remaining piece like Jenny does in the video? You have to snip off the very end of that left over piece.

Make sure that the curved edge is not getting stretched as it sewn.

Comment

• k.jisanne@gmail.com
      Editing a comment
      I'll take to get pictures for you tomorrow to show. Yes, I cut out the little pieces like in Jenny's video. I watched that video about four times before getting brave enough to start.

Bottom Photos (The batiks) are of the actual quilt I'm working on. The picture of the whole first two rows I know I didn't lay it out straight. But all the ends match. The dark clamshell is my question about them not lining up. The light green-blue one and everything before that, the middle seams line up perfect.

The bright patch is the little one I did for a practice sandwich for trying actual machine quilting. There is also a difference in the foot I use. For the batiks I used my regular machine foot. For the bright one, I used my new 1/4 inch sewing foot. I thought it would help me get better seams. Actually seemed to make things worse as it had trouble going over the seams where it is thicker. So any help in using the 1/4 inch foot would be good too. Or I'll go back to using my regular one. But this also better illustrates the problem I have with the good fabric too. Everything to the left of middle lines up well, everything to right is wierd. I also trimmed this up so the sides are straight as it is practice for machine quilting, I wasn't too worried about that. Maybe I stretched too much?

clamshell practice sandwich.jpg

clamshell bad alignment.jpg clamshell good alignment.jpg clamshell 2rows.jpg
    Last edited by [email protected]; October 10, 2020, 10:05 AM.

Comment

You picked a hard one to start with. I haven't done this pattern but all the bias getting stretched is probably the problem.

Comment

• k.jisanne@gmail.com
        Editing a comment
        Ha! Leave it to me. I natural seem to pick the hardest thing, or the most expensive thing in a store and all without trying. I'll be more careful with my bias.

How pretty! I have used two different kinds of 1/4'' feet. The fancy one I bought with the little side bar edge was harder to use for me. Too much metal to look at maybe. So I just use the plain one.
      ๐ŸŒบ Lorie

Comment

• k.jisanne@gmail.com
        Editing a comment
        The new one I got has the little blade you hold the fabric against. All very shiney. I was thinking about painting the blade with nail polish, blue painters tape, or something.

• Hulamoon
        Hulamoon commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a really good idea!!

I'm so impressed that you tackled this project. 7 years in and I'm still too scared of curves.

I can't get the hang of 1/4 foot either with the guide or open toed. I use the standard foot of my machine with a painter's tape guide.

Can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts on how to help.

Comment

This is the 1/4'' foot for my new machine (Pfaff) it's so easy to see.

pfaff foot.jpg
        ๐ŸŒบ Lorie

Comment

I love doing drunkard's path blocks but clamshells are one i haven't tried just yet.

Comment

A thought for you.

Could it be that when you cut the first piece that you are using one line on that template?
            Example the 5 1/4 line.

When you cut the second template, you use a different line example the 5 inch line.

Comment

Here is a picture that shows two areas that may have been cut different. It is easy to do when using two different templates. It looks like the tan on the top piece and the blue fabrics on the bottom piece were cut with different sizes. You may want to add painters tape to the coordinating cutting line on the rulers.

clam shell.jpg

Comment

• srgreene
                srgreene commented
                Editing a comment
                Rhonda. I wanted to thank you for your thoughtful replies to problem questions. I always learn so much from your responses. Thank you for your care and concern for those of us starting out. .

• k.jisanne@gmail.com
                Editing a comment
                No, they were all cut on the same template. I made sure of that. The only thing I had to do on the tan fabric was recut the bottom section because I forgot to cut off the little 1/2 that went beyond the template.

If your machine allows you to adjust the needle that may help. I use my regular machine foot placed on the edge of the fabric and measure 1/4 inch to the left and place my needle in that position. I find that this works better for me than either of the two 1/4 inch feet I have. Careful pressing (not ironing) your block will also help. I use my own homemade pressing starch and this helps too. Also you could starch your fabrics before cutting to help tame the bias. Good luck.
              No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
              Aesop

Comment

The only thing I might add is to use lots of spray starch (thoroughly soak the fabric so it's like cardboard after you iron it) before cutting the pieces. It will make cutting more accurate and keep the pieces from stretching as you stitch. I don't do this with every quilt I make, but if there are tiny pieces or lots of bias this is my go-to method.
                Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

Wow you chose a tricky one to start with. Personally I don't think it is off by enough to worry about. Especially after being quilted I don't think anyone except you will notice, and it will turn out fine. Please believe that there are many blocks out there that are not this complicated. I guess what I am saying is just think how easy your next quilt will be!

Comment

• k.jisanne@gmail.com
                    Editing a comment
                    That was my main concern, really. I don't know much the quilting will actually hide. On the bright square, I care but not so much since that is just going to be a practice quilting, but on the blue one it was more of a concern.

Just an update. Thank you everyone for your help! Got my boyfriend to tack up some flannel so I have a design wall! Third row is sewn together and 4th row is planned. A bit slow going between college coursework and life, but getting there! Also, went back to my regular sewing foot.
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• srgreene
                    srgreene commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Whoot whoot. You are doing great. Love the colors.

• Hulamoon
                    Hulamoon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Beautiful!
                Working...
                X