Walking Foot Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walking Foot Question

Hi everyone! I am brand new to quilting and am struggling to find the right presser foot (is that the right word?) for a Walking Foot. I have a Singer 9410 and a walking foot that fits my machine. I’ve just finished my very first quilt and instantly noticed that I am way over the 1/4 inch mark that I was trying to do. The base of my walking foot is about 3/4 from edge to edge. Is there a walking foot with a smaller presser foot? And if so, where do I find it? Google has not been helpful because I don’t think I’m searching for the right things. Thank you in advance!
    - An excited but lost new quilter

A little confused ...a walking foot is normally used for quilting due to it handles lots of layers evenly. If you use it needing 1/4 inch you would have to use the markings on your needle plate. Usually walking feet are not interchangeable. What you might be looking for is a quarter inch foot. Pics might help to identify what your really needing.

Btw welcome from TX!!! This is a great forum!!

Comment

Hi there...you want to make sure the entire presser foot and all the feed dogs have good contact with the cloth for quilting with a walking foot. You can adjust the distance of your stitch from the edge of the quilt (or another line of stitching) by adjusting the needle position. Hope this helps!

Comment

We need to figure out exactly what you need. Which foot are you talking about walking foot or the seam guide foot. Walking feet are usually used to quilt with. the 1/4" foot is for sewing the pieces together leaving a consistent seam allowance (the stitching line from the edge of the fabric)

Foot.jpg
        Kathryn
        There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

Originally posted by Mdtrimble View Post
          Hi there...you want to make sure the entire presser foot and all the feed dogs have good contact with the cloth for quilting with a walking foot. You can adjust the distance of your stitch from the edge of the quilt (or another line of stitching) by adjusting the needle position. Hope this helps!
          If you can't adjust the needle position on your machine or want to purchase a 1/4 foot, use painter's tape on your needle plate to mark the quarter inch line. Most likely your machine came with a standard foot for sewing and use the painter's tape tip for marking. Good luck. I hope the suggestions from the forum help.
          “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
          “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

You can also find the spot on the walking foot that hits the 1/4 inch point. Mark it with a sharpie or add a small piece of tape. This makes a reference point for the 1/4 inch seam. I have also used blue painter tape to tape the stitching line. Just sew right along the edge. It' s easy to reposition the tape for the next area of stitching.

Came back to ask:

Are you piecing or quilting with the walking foot?
            Last edited by Rhonda K; October 8, 2020, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Morning. I don't piece with my walking foot but use a standard foot and painters tape guide. Karen Brown Just Get It done Quilts has some beginner videos on sewing straight that helped me immensely with 1/4 seams. Welcome.

Comment

You use a 1/4 in foot for piecing.
                You use a walking foot for quilting.
                Two different feet for two different uses.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. All that I can add is that if you are going to buy a walking foot, I would suggest an open to one. I have both and since I bought an open toe one I don' t even use the other one anymore. I like being able to see exatcly where the needle is when starting and stopping on the quilt patterns.

Comment

I didn't know an open to walking foot existed. I also use a quarter inch foot for piecing and a walking foot for quilting. It is very tough to see lines with mine though.
                    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

• Rhonda K
                      Rhonda K commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, some of the WF have different feet available. There is a SITD, 1/4 inch guide, open toe, and a couching foot available for my machine.

The 1/4 inch guide foot works well for sewing binding onto the quilt.

Wow everyone! Thank you for the responses. I apologize for the confusion! I was quilting with the walking foot. I used the 1/4 inch presser foot with a guide to piece my quilt. I just noticed that my stitch was not as narrow as I had hoped for the design while quilting. The video I learned from was Your First Quilt by Melanie Ham. From there I noticed my quilting stitches were farther apart than hers. I will take all of your suggestions and keep practicing!! Thanks everyone!
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• nativetexan
                      nativetexan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      well regardless of the width, your stitches look great!!! always buy feet for your machine. then no surprises. i have a quarter inch foot i use when joining. now mostly i use my walking foot when quilting. i must find a spot on the foot that will make my stitches 1/4 inch from where ever it is I am aiming. many feet are different. just learn yours. Good luck, keep going. wonderful work!

• 201 Treadler
                      201 Treadler commented
                      Editing a comment
                      hi welcome
                      regarding the 1/4 inch as long as you have a constant width of a seam over the whole project it does not matter to much.
                      1/4 inch is the recommended amount to leave to stop the stitches pulling off fabric, but can be any width seam as long as constant, 1/4 inch is recommended for frugal fabric quilting unless doing mini quilts seam can be 1/8 inch but can be 1/2 inch when starting out, just aim for constant seams. then get down to the nitty gritty of 1/4 and scant quarter or the seam size allowance that gives you your unit sizes when decide you love putting fabric together.
                      Always remember there is no mistakes only design choices.
                      love your quilt
                      hugs T

• Rhonda K
                      Rhonda K commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Pretty quilt and pretty fabrics!

I love those colors especially in batiks! Now that I see the quilt I would suggest getting a quilting bar/guide. You can sew straight lines evenly, but I have seen some beautiful quilt with spirals.

this is just about a min long or so
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K4W1drnV88
                    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Can't add anything, but just wanted to say that's a beautiful quilt.

Rob
                      There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
                      --Ken Burns

Comment

Beautiful quilt! Nice job matching up seams!!
                        Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

Not all walking foot attachments are created equal. You need to have one that will fit your specific machine. On my first Viking machine, I bought a generic one that worked fine. However, when I purchased a newer model machine, the generic one did not fit. Instead I needed one that was specific to my machine. Naturally, it was more expensive. But it has the bars on the sides (optional use) that can be used as guides for the spacing of stitching. I rarely use them, but they're nice to have if you need them.

Comment

Working...
                          X