Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FMQ thread bunching

Hello!

I'm just wondering why my thread bunched in spots on the back of my fabric while FMQ. I was working on some fabric leaves for mama's wreath (and practicing for quilting my Seeds of Gratitude quilt) It only did it with the red thread, so I'm thinking it's the thread?? It's a Coates dual duty thread...and older one. My new yellow Gutermann I had no trouble with. It's possible that I got warmed up and that my technique got better, but I'm thinking maybe it's the thread. It only did it on the back. What do you think?

20201003_191453.jpg20201003_191514.jpg20201003_212623.jpg20201003_212641.jpg20201003_212629.jpg

Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

I'm not sure. Are the thread weights the same? Since I have not done much FMQ that is my only suggestion.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not sure. I don't see anything on the either spools to indicate weight.

If it is on the back that means it is your upper thread that is the problem. Putting a thread net on the spool might help, you may need to adjust the upper tension when you switch thread. It could be the hesitation at a place you change directions, sorry but there are so many possibilities. If you have a different thread that would be my first thing to change.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Is a thread net the plastic doohickey that goes on too of the spool to hold it in place?

• JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      Is your needle a top-stitch 90-14? This is recommended for FMQ.

• MSN
      MSN commented
      Editing a comment
      A thread net is a stretchy mesh that goes around the spool of thread to help the thread feed evenly. They really do make a difference.

https://quiltsocial.com/how-using-th...ting-stitches/

I have never quilted with those threads. When I did FMQ on my DSM, I used Superior or Signature 40 wt. cotton quilting thread Now that I quilt on the Baby Lock Tiara table LA, I've been using Glide 40 wt. trilobal polyester quilting thread. I always use the same weight & kind of thread in the bobbin as on the top. It could be a tension issue or it could be the thread. What are you quilting on? A DSM or a LA? Are you using a new needle with a large enough eye?

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      I am using a DMS. I always use the same thread in bobbin as on top. I am using a Schmetz quilting needle.

I only use that thread when I make clothes. I always use cotton thread to quilt. It could be it's old or tension. It's weird sometimes you'll have a thread issue with one and not with another. I have some that fray ...annoying while I'm sewing. I hope you solve and your leaves look fantastic!

Comment

• Mdtrimble
      Mdtrimble commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, I have not had good luck quilting with cotton... not sure if it’s my machine or my technique, but the thread breaks with annoying consistency. No problem with polyester thread.

That’s quite a bunch of thread. I wonder if it was just the way the thread was laying after you threaded the bobbin (I occasionally get wired bunches of thread that disappear after rethreading bobbin.

I have also had better luck whenFMQ if I use a straight stitch plate, but that fixed more top thread showing through around curves, which I don’t see evidence for in your samples.

I love the leaf motif!

Comment

I was FMQ last night on my Seeds of Gratitude quilt and got super frustrated! I used a different colour Coats polyester thread (all I have right now) and I got bunching. It seems to me that Mdtrimble is on to something. I think that it's more to do with my stopping and starting and the bobbin thread not coming up properly. When I was paying attention to it I had lots of trouble getting the thread to come up in the middle of the quilt. On the edges I hold both threads but can't in the middle. I take one stitch and pull the bobbin thread up and then pull it out and take a couple of anchoring stitches, like I learned from Rob Appell, but it didn't always come up. If I let it be I got horrible bunching and looping! If it came up fine...none!

Any ideas how to help that bobbin thread to come up in the middle of the quilt??

Comment

When starting in the middle of the quilt, I follow the technique that you seem to describe - I have enough of the top thread pulled out to put my finger on it, then I put the needle down, then back up in the same place. Pull on top thread, then bobbin thread should come up. If it doesn’t, repeat the process until it does (I sometimes have to use tweezers to get the bobbin thread pulled out enough to hold in place for the anchoring stitches, especially if I’ve used my thread cutter. If you don’t pull your bobbin thread up before your anchoring stitches and hold it in place, you will certainly end up with a rats nest on the back. (Though your neat es something to behold!)

Comment

So...as I was quilting last night it got worse and worse...jamming was happening. I tried changing to a regular foot. Same thing. I took the bobbin case out and thoroughly cleaned. Lots of fluff in there. Rethreaded and it worked!! Lesson learned...defluff often! Lol And buy better suited thread. Thanks all for your much appreciated help!!

Comment

Ahhh...yes. Clean out bobbin casing is important. Took me awhile to learn that lesson. 😉 also, based on your comment about jamming, I’ve noticed that my machine will start jamming (so I have to cut thread manually from bottom of quilt to continue sewing) when I’m over-due for a service. When was the last time you had your machine serviced? Depending on how much you’re using it, it could need maintenance more often then recommended.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              I never thought about the needle alignment, although it's still hitting the quarter inch mark dead on. Best to have it serviced for that for sure! Mine is a cheap Heavy Duty Singer. No computer at all. It's very basic.

• Mdtrimble
              Mdtrimble commented
              Editing a comment
              It all depends on your machine and how much you’ve been sewing on it...I can get away with piecing & quilting 4-6 quilts between services. From your description, it sounds like retreading bobbin thread (and making sure you capture it on topside at beginning) should fix it

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              That often!? Wow! I never knew. It may definitely be time then. It's so expensive here to have them serviced I don't do it often enough. I have been having difficulty with the bobbin thread coming up to the top for me to grab. It was ok after the the cleanup of the case.
          Working...
          X